cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 30

Problems with BT email using Outlook 2007

I was having problems with my BT email account today so I looked on the BT website and followed the instructions provided which recommended deleting my account and then setting it up again in readiness for the changes - this I did.

I now have a brand new Imap account (used to be POP).  Problems are - I now have a separate inbox for this account (used to have all my emails from various accounts land in the main inbox folder).

The new inbox has populated itself with emails dating back 12 months, when I try to delete them, instead of them deleting as they used to they just get 'Crossed out' and stay in the inbox.

I now have a 'Bulk Mail' Folder - this is full of stuff I have never seen before and again I can't delete it.

If I look in the accounts section of outlook on all other email addresses I have the option to change folders for incoming email, this option does not exist for my 'New' BT account.

Could anyone provide any assistance please?

Thanks

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Problems with BT email using Outlook 2007

To set your mail up as a POP3 account, you need to do it manually rather than let the automatic setup process complete. You will need to delete the account again first though.

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 30

I too have problems with using BT Mail with Outlook 2007 every now and then.

Today is one of those occasions. If I try to download my emails with Outlook I get a pop up telling me to enter my user ID and password. I know they are both correct but re-entering them has no effect whatsover. The exact details are used for BT Mail via the BT Home page and they work fine.

I have had this problem many times previously and I know that it will probably work normally tomorrow. The most annoying thing is the pop up keeps coming up whatever website I'm using. It's come up about six times whilst I've been typing this.

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 30

As I thought. Yesterday I couldn't get my emails using Outlook 2007. It kept asking me to enter my user ID and password. Even after entering them it wouldn't work with Outlook.

This morning it was exactly the same. However, I have just tried it and it is now working normally.

Who's fault is this? I know my settings were correct. It it caused by BT messing around with the new BT Mail?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 30

Its been like that for years, hopefully it will improve once the migration is complete

0 Ratings
Highlighted
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 30

Here we go again. My BT email once again not working this morning with Outlook 2007.

I'm getting a bit cheesed off now. Please tell me this problem will go away once BT have completed the changeover to the new BT Mail.

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 30

Have you read my posts under "Here we go again!!"? Very similar to you but I use Thunderbird. It's been going on for almost a year now. Some days all is OK the next it's a load of you know what. Sean has offered to help (again) but all that happens is I get asked to change my password and then all works OK for a while and then suddenly - Here we go again!!.

i gave in once before in the hope that when I came back to BT mail all would have been resolved but no chance. I have given Sean my concerns but as yet have not had a reply.

I suffer with you - at least until my contract expires!!

Rod Walker

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

Wedding, if you are going to change ISP when your contract expires you will need to change your email address unless you decide to pay for the BT one so why don't you change your email provider now. If you go for a free provider such as gmail or Yahoo you will no longer be ISP dependant or you could get your own domain and email address which may suit your needs better. 

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 30

Surprise, Surprise. Outlook's working again now. It seems all I have to do is to put up with going via the BT Home page for a while to access my email and it corrects itself eventually. It's never been this quick previously though.

I have also received an email today, via Outlook, from Yahoo advising me that BT will be, or have already(they haven't), moving me to BT Mail. In the meantime I will have to change the way I log into Yahoo Groups. As I have never used Yahoo Groups I'll give that one a miss.

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 30

GG30340 I know I can use Gmail etc (I do for certain things) and I know that BT is not contractually obliged to provide an email service at all. However, I think that an ISP that did not provide an e-mail service would perhaps not survive too long these days. My main gripe is that BT is an ISP that DOES provide an e-mail service but it can be very hit-and-miss whether the service will work or not. Of course, this can be more of a cause of frustration than if there were no e-mail service - at least then we would of necessity have to use a different e-mail system or provider. As you have been a regular contributor to this forum for quite a while now I'm sure you will realise, judging from the volume of complaints about e-mail,  just what a bind BT seem to have got themselves into.

As to whether when and if I do leave BT I would lose the e-mail service then I'm not so sure. I used to be with Pipex many years ago (at least 5) and I still use my xxx.xxxxx@dsl.pipex.com e-mail address occasionally.

I'm sure that when we have all been migrated (roll on that day) all will become peace and light again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings