cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Problems with POP email on iPad

My iPad is set up with POP BTinternet email. My wife’s IPad is also set up with POP BTinternet email. Both accounts are set up identically with identical settings. However, within the last couple of day, she can receive emails but cannot send any and there is no “Sent” box. On my iPad, I can send and the emails show up in a “Sent” box.  I have deleted her account and re-created it but the same problem persists. 

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this problem? As we share the same account, I do not want to use IMAP because, if one of us deletes a message, it gets deleted for the other.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Problems with POP email on iPad

Hi @bratman91,

As you may be aware, we support IMAP rather than POP3. However, we do provide settings for POP3. 

Check our BT Email server settings to make sure everything matches.

Thanks
DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Which email app is she using on her IPad?

You stated that you have deleted "her account" but you also state " I do not want to use IMAP because, if one of us deletes a message, it gets deleted for the other".  which would imply that there is only one account and you are both using the same account and therefore she does not have her own account.

Could you clarify which it is because if it is the same account and it is working OK on your device then the problem would appear to be with either her email app or her device.

Have you tried downloading and installing a different email app to see if a) that works and b) if it clears the fault with the app she is using.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

To clarify, it is the same BT account but each iPad is set up with its own iPad email app account to use the BT email system (sorry, the terminology is confusing). There is no problem with my iPad or iPhone but there is a problem with her iPad. This has arisen only in the past one or two weeks - everything worked fine until then. She can send receive emails but not send them. The settings on her and my devices are identical.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

The problem with those settings is that they are generic and not always applicable to an iPad or iPhone. Most of my email accounts with other ISPs are indeed IMAP but I would like to retain the BT one as POP.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Have you changed the email account password recently?

As regards the settings in the link that was posted by the moderator. Yes they are generic, that is because they are the correct settings regardless if it is an iPad or iPhone. If you are not using those settings, what settings are you using?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@gg30340 

The settings are:

Incoming Mail server

Host Name.    mail.btinternet.com

Outgoing Mail Server.   

SMTP: mail.btinternet.com

Advanced

use SSL

Authentication: Password

Server Port 995

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

What ports are you using. You have not shown the Outgoing Port.

Incoming should be Port 995

Outgoing should be Port 465

You need to check the Ports and settings as per the BT settings link I posted.

POP3 settings

Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 995 (this should be automatically populated by selecting the SSL encryption)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Username: your email address including the @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

POP from folder: by default, POP will pull emails from your inbox

SMTP settings

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selecting SSL, so you'll need to check)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Authentication: PLAIN

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@gg30340 

Unless it is well hidden, I can’t see any option to change the Outgoing Port. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

From the iPad home screen, Tap Settings. Tap Mail, Contacts, and Calendars. Tap the Email Account you wish to edit. Tap SMTP under Outgoing Server. Tap your Outgoing Server under Primary Server. Here you can edit the server port number by tapping the value next to Server Port.

See link

How to update SMTP (Outgoing Server) settings on iPhone / iPad - Knowledgebase - Jub Jub

0 Ratings