cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Problems with downloading emails

About 1 week ago my BT email stopped downloading emails where it went to the "doughnut of death" when I tried to read anything. The internet is working as I can access everything. I have Norton and it says all is OK and DELL have no outstanding downloads. When I called BT, they say they dont have any similar issues logged and that it must be my computer but I read several people having similar issues......

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problems with downloading emails

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium Email account?

Are you on the BTYahoo email system or the BTMail system? If you are not sure you need to log onto your email using a browser and if you look at the BT logo and see Yahoo anywhere it means you are on the BTYahoo system.

How do you access your email, is it through a browser or by using an email client/app?

Do you have a VPN running? This may be part of your Norton package.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thankyou for replying.

I am a BT Broadband customer. I'm definitely on BT Mail. No sign of Yahoo on the page these days I use a Browser to access, normally Google Chrome but I get the same result if I use Microsoft Edge. I use Norton 360 but don't subscribe to VPN.

Mary

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

A couple of things to try.

Given that you have the same problem with Edge this probably won't work but you could try clearing the history and cookies from your browser. In Chrome make sure you clear it from" all time".

If that doesn't help, try switching your BT Hub off for 15 minutes. This should give you a new IP address and hopefully connect you to a different BT email server.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thankyou for trying. Not so keen on the first suggestion as did that once before & bank refused to communicate without tremendous security checks which delayed a payment.

I will try the other option & let you know. The hub is usually on permanently. I did press the button on the back (holding for 20 seconds & that didn't help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 8

OK, if you are reluctant to clear out your cookies, try downloading and installing the new Firefox browser.

This is my browser of choice for accessing anything secure, including BT. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Had the Hub off for 25min. Switched it on & then started the PC but no joy. Still the same problem. The little whirling circle & the eroor message saying that I have no internet connection. I can delete emails. I can make folders. I can move emails into folders (having read them on my tablet) but when I try to open any email the error message comes up saying that I have no internet connection & yet I have!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Am very happy with Google Chrome. Have used it for years. Believe it is very secure. My only problem is with opening emails, I can access my BT account. View everything & down load bills.
0 Ratings