cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scorpion0x17
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Pulling my hair out regarding Yahoo email and/or BT...

Hi all,

I have had a yahoo.co.uk email account since long before joining BT and have previously had very few problems accessing said account via POP3 using Windows Live Mail (or other email apps).

However, about a month or so ago, I started getting the following error, whenever I try to download my email from my yahoo.co.uk account using Windows Live Mail:

"Unable to send or receive messages for the Yahoo.co.uk (Scorpion0x17) account. The email server returned an error.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR inactivity timeout
Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC90
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No"

Now, initially, when this problem started occuring, I went on to the yahoo.co.uk website, and used their online chat facility to talk to one of their support people - they couldn't fix the problem, but said it would be looked into - anyway, long story short, it took several attempts before they even started to look into it, and I started getting "we're looking into emails", however about 2 or so weeks ago these dried up.

"So, what's this got to do with BT I hear you ask".

Well, because I'd not heard anything from yahoo for a while I thought I'd try their online chat facility again, so I go on to the website again today, log in to my yahoo.co.uk account, and go to the yahoo chat facility, put in my yahoo.co.uk email address, submit, and then I get back the message:

"Since your request pertains to a British Telecom (BT) User ID, we ask that you contact their Customer Service center for further assistance. You may visit the URL below to discuss your issue via one of the many channels of support BT offers; Live Chat, Desktop Help Support, Online Help, Phone, or Email."

So, I phone BT, only they tell me that they can't help because it's a yahoo.co.uk email account!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

So, I'm hoping someone on here can help.

One thing I have thought of, is that I seem to recall something about having to 'register' non-bt accounts with BT in some way, but try as I might I can't find anything pertaining to this on the BT website, nor can I find any kind of settings page on either MyBT or from within my BT Yahoo webmail account where this can be done.

Can anyone help me resolve this problem?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Projjer
Message 2 of 9

Re: Pulling my hair out regarding Yahoo email and/or BT...

Been getting this on and off for a while now . .

Tech help desk is on 0808 100 6778

The CSR was just about as sympathetic as every other CSR in BT.

But . . . add your voice to mine and we may get an acknowledgment that there IS a problem

Access restored about 15 mins later . . . . . .

Projjer

(Over 50 years in carrier telecoms)

0 Ratings
Scorpion0x17
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Projjer wrote: 

Access restored about 15 mins later . . . . . .

Mine's been broken for weeks.

Am going to be at my parent's house for a couple of days soon (they live over 100 miles away, so I can't just pop round), and they're on Virgin, so I'll try accessing my email whilst I'm there - if it then works that will confirm that it's BT that's at fault.

Either way, will then try that number.

0 Ratings
Scorpion0x17
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

0 Ratings
RG01
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Yes, I'm afraid there is no support for all the email problems.

From what has been quoted on other threads, it seems that BT's official attitude is "We're no interested - take it or leave it." 

0 Ratings
Scorpion0x17
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

@Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Am going to be at my parent's house for a couple of days soon (they live over 100 miles away, so I can't just pop round), and they're on Virgin, so I'll try accessing my email whilst I'm there - if it then works that will confirm that it's BT that's at fault.

Well, I tried it on my parents Virgin cable internet, and got the same problem. So, it looks like it is a Yahoo issue. Time to pull out the big guns...

Wish me luck.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Deleted because the link did not work !

0 Ratings
Scorpion0x17
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

@vofsanity2 wrote:

Deleted because the link did not work !

I'm now curious to know what it was a link to...

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

The link was to a post of DavidM a moderator dated 27/04/2012. I have tried again below. The previous link gave a garbage result. 

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/E-mail-password-rejection/m-p/489717#M20938

This indicates that Yahoo have been undergoing what appears to be a major system revamp.

0 Ratings