cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thersites
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Q: Does BTinternet lose incoming emails? A: YES

I've used email since 1993 and have hitherto been very dismissive when others have told me they didn't receive my correctly-addressed messages, or that they've sent me messages that I did not receive.  Until now, when it has happened to me - more than once.

A message sent yesterday by my builder in reply to a message of mine (and therefore correctly addressed) and copied to my wife, has arrived in her BTwebmail account, but not in mine.  When she FW the message to me, I DID then receive it.  This excludes from possibility most or all of the usual causes for 'lost' emails, and leads me to think that BT's mail.btinternet.com server has lost it.  There have been 2 other examples I am confident of the facts over but which I lacked time to pursue, and a dozen other possible similar losses I did not examine closely enough to confirm.

I'm posting here for 2 reasons:

1) To discover if others have had this experience, or have suspected it.  In my mind, if it happens 3 times, it is happening hundreds, thousands or maybe millions of times.  But of course it's easy for us not to notice.

2) In the hope a moderator chances on this thread and takes an interest.  In the 1990s it was easy to get to speak to second-level technical support and to bring high level technical skills to bear on a fault or problem.  Alas no longer, and I don't know whether my resolve will surmount the myriad obstacles that BT now puts in the way of speaking to the people it takes money from.  I will try to reach technical support and will report here on the experience.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pdelly
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Q: Does BTinternet lose incoming emails? A: YES

YES!! I've also had instances of senders with whom I have exchanges countless emails, and have in my contacts, suddenly ending up in the spam folder; I have learned to check the spam folder regularly!

My wife, also, like me, on BT Mail (not Yahoo) has experienced similar problems, particularly if the email has attachments - we've both had instances of emails popping into spam from such senders as Government departments, solicitors, accountants, and even Bishops! Very annoying!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

An email address is an email address, the system has no idea if it is a solicitor an accountant or even a Bishop that is sending it.

If you are aware of senders emails being placed into spam have you tried adding the senders email address into your "Safe Senders" list.

You can do that by logging onto your email account and going to the settings found by clicking on your username at the right hand side.

Go  to Mail > Safe Senders > then add the email address or in the domain and click Save.

0 Ratings
Thersites
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

While I thank them for their interest, in their replies neither pdelly nor gg30340 addressed the problem I am highlighting.  I point this out only to avoid distraction from the main issue - of lost messages when NONE of the usual explanations (such as incorrect address or unconfigured or overzealous spam filter) apply.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

You have no idea of the cause of the problem and whether or not it is 'the usual explanations'. The most likely cause is over zealous spam filters. Only a small proportion of filtered spam is sent to to the spam folder, most is dropped t the server. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Emails don't "get lost". They are either incorrectly addressed and as such can not be delivered or they are filtered out as being spam or possibly containing malware.

As has been pointed out, the most likely explanation that the spam filters have been "over zealous" and as a result they have filtered out the emails prior to reaching your email account and as such they will not show in your inbox or spam folder.

OI am at a loss as to how you know this is not happening to your emails and as you feel this is not the explanation in your case perhaps you could enlighten us with what you feel could be the possible cause 

Thersites
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Liquorice, I'm calling you out on this - please elaborate, in sufficient detail to evidence the credibility of your assertion.

It's one thing for a spam filter to strip off a potentially risky attachment before it reaches the destination, but to remove the container as well?  No.  Any spam filter built to do this as a feature rather than a bug has suffered from specification failure.  This is when, at the requirements analysis stage, the analyst thought he heard the customer say (just after being informed that the heuristics spam filters operate on can NEVER be 100% correct) "No, I don't need an opportunity to correct your spam/no spam decisions which I now know to be inherently unreliable."

And gg30340, please read my OP again.  There's all the base information you need.  Would you care to hypothesise how a correctly addressed email which was sent to both arrived into one of my webmail inboxes (my wife's) but not into the other?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Neither you nor I know the reason for the missing emails for certain as neither of us are part of the BT mail team.

However, what I do know for certain is that BT do not 'lose' emails deliberately. The most likely reason is over zealous spam filters.  BT spam filters categorise  spam as either definitely spam and is dropped at the server, or possibly spam and is delivered to your spam folder. Neither are 100% accurate. If it wasn't for the former, your spam box would be overflowing with thousands of spam emails a day.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@Thersites wrote:

And gg30340, please read my OP again.  There's all the base information you need.  Would you care to hypothesise how a correctly addressed email which was sent to both arrived into one of my webmail inboxes (my wife's) but not into the other?

I have given an explanation which gave more than one reason why an email may be removed.  In your case the most likely explanation is that the spam filters that are working on your email account has incorrectly marked the email as spam and removed it hence my previous suggestion that you add any known email address that this is happening to to your safe senders list.

0 Ratings