cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Random emails have disappeared

Go to solution

I have searched for similar questions, and found that other people have had this problem, but I haven't seen a solution. I discovered that several emails had disappeared from my Inbox recently. I contacted BT and they said "it happens". Nothing they can do about it, apparently. No way to recover the lost emails. So I'm not expecting a solution, but is there a way of preserving (guaranteed) to preserve what is left in my Inbox? I have about 6000 emails in my Inbox. I don't need to preserve all of them, but it would be easier to preserve all of them, rather than to sort them out. Btw, it seems that the emails I might have sent in reply to the emails that have disappeared seem to have disappeared from my Sent box.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Random emails have disappeared

Go to solution

Have you tried changing view?  Click "Change View" in top right corner"...  You might be in "Conversation View" which will group your e-mails under a single thread rather than showing all of the individual replies.

Try toggling Conversation View ON/OFF to see if the emails show

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

The Inbox is not a storage folder. You should consider setting up storage folders in the "My Folders " section and move your emails into those folders.

You might also want to consider using an email client/app. This will allow you to include the downloaded emails in your backup regime.... assuming you do have a backup regime which means you will have a copy of your emails regardless if they go missing from the BT servers

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I am not at all tech-savvy. I have clicked on 'Change view' and seen 'Conversation view' at the bottom of the list. How can I tell if I'm in Conversation view or not? Nevertheless, I clicked on it and searched for the email address of one of the set of missing emails. They were not found. I went back and clicked on Conversation view again and searched again with the same result. When I clicked on Conversation view, nothing seemed to change, so perhaps I need to do something else, like 'save' or 'done', but I didn't see anything like that on the screen.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, DS. You will not be surprised to learn that I don't have a back-up regime. I don't have a mobile phone (smart or not) so I cannot get an app. But I'll try to get my s-i-l (who is tech-savvy) to set up those folders, and show me how to use them.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

If you are using your email on a computer/laptop you could download a free email client such as Thunderbird and set it up. 

It may seem a bit overwhelming but it is actually fairly easy to download, install and set up.

The following links would assist you or if you are getting somebody else to set it up it should assist them.

Set up your BT Email | How to access your email | BT Help

If Thunderbird does not include the correct settings automatically the one that you need for BTMail are here.

BT Email server settings | BT Help

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks again, DS. I'll try to do that.

0 Ratings