cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Re: Adding BT Mail account to Microsoft Outlook

I have read a number of different views on this, and a number of different solutions.  Some say it is not a problem, others say it is not possible - so please forgive me if I am left confused.  BT mail works fine on my android phone (365) and the 'old ' Outlook (although some features don't work any more eg reminders attached to emails) but I have had no success with the Windows 11 version; it wants an app password and my usual BT mail password is clearly not good enough !  I have tried many times with no success; any other ideas that would enable me to stick with Outlook (however odd that may seem...).  Thanks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

I assume by Outlook you mean 'New Outlook' as supplied with W11.

If so, I can confirm I have just created a test account OK. Make sure you enter the SMTP password as well as the IMAP password.

Message 3 of 14

Hi Licquorice

Thanks for your reply; yes, Outlook for W11, works fine on 365.  Outlook only asks for 'password', is there way to input these data manually.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Right click on the account, select 'manage' click 'Repair' and then enter the SMTP password.

Message 5 of 14

Thanks - I'll try that and let you know what happens 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Sorry, no option to right click and / or get access to repair tag. Is this in W11 Outlook ? All roads seem to lead to needing an app password ????
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Yep, W11 Outlook.

BT don't require an app password for less secure apps.

Is the account listed in the left hand pane?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

How are you actually creating the account?

When I first open Outlook it goes off looking for accounts and in my case suggested adding a Hotmail account I have.

I just overwrote the Hotmail address with a BTinternet address and off it went. Entered password and that's all that was needed. The SMTP password was a red herring, I didn't need to enter any other settings other than email address and password initially.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

The account was taken from my 'classic' Outlook when I started the W11 version using a response to a 'try the new Outlook' prompt from MS. Perhaps I should delete this version and start again from scratch with W11 Outlook.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Might be worth a try.

0 Ratings