cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Re: BT mail - constantly being hacked

My email account has been hacked, but this time, I am getting about 30 or more spam emails a day, that are supposed to be from me, as they are clearly using my email address. These emails are very annoying, and say they are offers from places such as Anglian Windows, Oral B etc.

I have had my email account for about 15 or more years, and have so many information and important emails in folders, that I can't afford to lose. So I can't just close down my account and open a new one. I wouldn't have a clue how to or where to save these essential emails.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks youSmiley Sad

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Unfortunately, as has already been stated, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. You just have to hope the spammers will stop using your address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

@lesleyanne47 wrote:

I have had my email account for about 15 or more years, and have so many information and important emails in folders, that I can't afford to lose. So I can't just close down my account and open a new one. I wouldn't have a clue how to or where to save these essential emails.

If you use an e-mail client like Thunderbird, configured as IMAP, then you can create a local folder and archive important mail onto your computer, or external storage.

See http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/email/thunderbirdbtmail.html

There is an archive option within Thunderbird, you just need to set the archive location to a local folder.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@lesleyanne47 wrote:

My email account has been hacked, but this time, I am getting about 30 or more spam emails a day, that are supposed to be from me, as they are clearly using my email address. These emails are very annoying, and say they are offers from places such as Anglian Windows, Oral B etc.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

How do you know your email account has been hacked ?

Spammers use various tricks when sending spam, and some use the one you (and probably 100s of 1000s of other people, including myself) are seeing. They forge/spoof any email address, and can set the "From" address the same as the address to send - hence you are seeing spam emails "from" yourself.

There is nothing you can do to prevent this.

However you can set up various rules or filters to either delete or trap emails pretending to be from you. Very few people send emails to themselves, so this doesn't normally cause a problem setting that filter to block or delete.

0 Ratings