Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 50

Re: BT's NEW 2020 email changes

@mhtother wrote:

Any suggestions for working alternatives would be very welcome. I am looking to migrate all the folders and sub-folder structure, which I am guessing would be the difficult part.

Use an email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird set up as an IMAP account and this will synchronise and replicate your folders with the BT servers.

If you use an email app on a mobile device you will already be familiar with how an email client works. 

Beginner
Message 42 of 50

Many - many thanks for your reply
Very helpful!
I will try my luck away (FAR away) from this awful 'new and improved' BT system!

Thanks again
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 43 of 50

Someone I know moved to Outlook and she imported all of her BT/Yahoo folders and mail, and her new Outlook had everything she had before in BT/Yahoo mail.   As I say, that was from BT/Yahoo.   I don't know if it will work with this new BT mail, and I can't tell you how she did it, because she had a visitor who happened to be an IT Techie and she did it for her.  Still, it's got to be worth looking into.  

If you're going to try to import all of your folders and mail into a new mail service, why don't you look at Yahoo mail, because you'll have something you're very familiar with. 

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 44 of 50

Many thanks for the good idea - It is definitely worth trying!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 45 of 50

@kjrr wrote:

Someone I know moved to Outlook and she imported all of her BT/Yahoo folders and mail, and her new Outlook had everything she had before in BT/Yahoo mail.   As I say, that was from BT/Yahoo.   I don't know if it will work with this new BT mail, and I can't tell you how she did it, because she had a visitor who happened to be an IT Techie and she did it for her.  Still, it's got to be worth looking into.  

If you're going to try to import all of your folders and mail into a new mail service, why don't you look at Yahoo mail, because you'll have something you're very familiar with. 

If you move to any mail client configured as IMAP, all mail will automatically be imported regardless of mail supplier. Yahoo mail isn't a client, it is another webmail system and is not so easy to move mail from one webmail system to another.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 46 of 50

I use Outlook and discovered that BT have blocked by openworld email address as part of their removing historic email addresses.  So I can recieve emails (at the moment) but cannot send from Outlook - only from the webmail which as everyone has said is not user friendly.  Do they have a right to do this?  We cannot use BT for broadband as their copper wires offer about 0.03mb download so we have to go through another provider wirelessly - giving us about 15mb but can be a bit hit and miss.  It tends to drop in the midde of a zoom which is very frustrating!

Question is:  Do they have any right to block my sending on my openworld address?  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 47 of 50

Of course they have a right, you are no longer a customer. Previously your address would have been deleted completely unless you paid £7.50/m for Premium mail, at least you can still access your address via webmail without paying now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 50

@katiejbrown wrote:

Question is:  Do they have any right to block my sending on my openworld address?  

BT Have not blocked you from sending on your Openworld email address.

They have allowed you to use that email address for free even although you are NOT a BT customer.

What they have stopped is you using the BT servers for free when you want to use and email client/app. If you want to use the BT servers you will need to pay one way or another.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 49 of 50

But why am I not a BT customer - because they won't lay on a decent broad band to my area.  I do have a BT phone but paid via Utility warehouse - seems I am penalised everyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 50

BT are  giving you a free email service, just not the one that you want for free. If you want the extras that BT paying customers have you can take out a BT Premium email account for £7.50 per month and you can then use your email account on an email client/app.

BT do not lay the infrastructure for broadband, that is done by Openreach. Is it only BT ISP that can not supply you your broadband or is it the same for all broadband providers?

You should look and see if you can get provision via the Universal Service Obligation although if you can get a wireless service you will probably not be eligible.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/broadband-uso-need-to-kno...

https://www.bt.com/broadband/USO

0 Ratings