cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 37

Re: BT's NEW 2020 email changes

Is anyone else having problems with the new web based system which frankly I think is dreadful.

1. To move emails to folders is alot slower than before as you have to go through 3 dropdowns then scroll dead slow to get to the folder. If you try and drag it, you have to line up the folder first, then drag and sometimes the folders start accelerating / scolling downwards on their own. Also after trying to drag twice, it just wont drag again to move emails

2. The type format / response box is dreadful, like going back 10 years

3. I believe this is the Basic webmail system that I was trying to change to from Premium. I have followed the Downgrade instructions but keep getting this message. Does anyone know how to solve it. Thanks

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to secureorder.bt.com.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 37

I too am having  problems with the new 2020 BT email format.  

1. When sending an email to multiple contacts, the drop-down address book is randomised totally. Not in any sort of alphabetical order.
  2. When photographs are viewed, they are upside down.
  3. When sending YouTube links they have to be copied and posted. On the old format these were either highlighted in blue enabling the recipient to simply click on it, or a picture and resume of the link appeared. This also enabled the recipient to click on the picture.
  4. 90% of the time I log in for the first time, I get a message informing me it is the third time of trying and I am blocked for 15 minutes. I just re-enter my username and password and get straight in. Although I now familiar with the procedure and the misinformation stated by BT  it is very annoying.
  5.  I receive some emails with an attachment. When I try and forward these, I am prevented from doing so because the attachment is too large. It appears every other server manages to handle the attachments, or I wouldn't be receiving them!

Why BT were allowed to issue this format to its users without extensive trials is disgraceful. There is obviously a big issue with its QA procedures. I have tried writing to the Chief Complaints Administrator and the CEO of BT. My emails are either ignored without the courtesy of a reply or acknowledgement, or get returned because they are undeliverable to the CEO's inbox as he uses Outlook (according to the return email explaining the fault). It would appear therefore that even the CEO doesn't use the BT format either!

Any other email provider does not have such basic, fundamental problems as this new BT format. This has to be the most amateurish attempt at revamping the format, ever. 

I have been a BT customer for over 20 years. I have Broadband, telephones, the Sports Channel, email, et al. If the email format  isn't fixed I will be seeking an alternative server. There are many competitors out there with cheaper deals.  I am not on my own with this intention. Other BT users I have spoken with are suffering with the same basic problems as highlighted above. They too are now considering their options to change providers.

I am not holding my breath for BT to sort this out.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 37

Unbelievable...and I though I as having problems. I finally got through to BT Service Centre in Liverpool where a very helpful lady did the downgrade for me as we tried both Mozilla (which she advised many customers have issues with) and Explorer to no avail. It is now downgraded. If you have such a large package, I would transfer to another provider, I think there is a mail forward system you can put in place and slowly work through changing your email address which can be the big deterrant to switching
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 37

Many thanks for your prompt reply Newbie. It's always reassuring (in a weird sort of way, if you know what I mean!) to know I'm not the only one with BT emailing problems.

Funnily enough, I received an email from a friend of mine, who is also a long term BT user, asking me if I knew how to resolve these issues. I think he will probably follow suit and if nothing is resolved with find another service provider.

I wonder if BT ever read these comments?

Kind Regards

Terrior 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 37

In case you are not aware, one of the reason for the change of the email web page is because BTYahoo users are being migrated  away from Yahoo onto the new BTMail system.

See link

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/We-re-updating-BT-Email/td-p/2005956

If you have a look at this long thread you will see that the "New" BT email webpage has been on the go since Dec 2018.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/New-BT-Mail-Layout/td-p/1904548

One of the first things to try is to clear your browser's history and cookies. If your browser has the option make sure you clear it "from all time". This will clear out any legacy cookies for BT email.

Most if not all the things you are complaining about have been discussed previously and a change of settings resolves some of them and a change in "the way you used to do it"  is  required for some of the other things.

This link sets out some of the changes.

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/bt-email-settings-tips-auto-reply-signature-11364367965932

Contacts: They are stored alphabetically depending on your choice if you want to use the first name or surname. This can be changed by clicking on the down arrow to the right of the search box

Upside down photos: this can be because they are taken on and sent from a mobile phone or tablet and the data recording the orientation of the photo is not always sent when it is emailed.

Links not showing as links: Go into the settings which is found by clicking on your user name at the top right and scroll down to Mail and tick Compose message in rich text format

Attachments: The size limit for sending attachments is 25Mb per email.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 37

I am fully aware of the BT migration away from Yahoo in 2018. In fact it caused me many problems for three months whilst BT and Yahoo separately sorted it out. It was a problem neither BT nor Yahoo had encountered previously and went back twelve years to a business account in Dubai I had set up and not used for ten years. It was finally resolved with a call from Yahoo in California. To be fair, BT kept me fully informed of their progress, or lack of it, on the matter throughout the process. 

I was aware of the first "new" format of BT emails after the migration away from Yahoo.

Photos received in the old BT email format were fine. When revisiting these photos, they now appear upside down.

The contact list is in alphabetical order. The drop-down box (when To:, CC., or BCC, is selected) when sending an email to multiple recipients is totally random with A next to Y before reappearing next to C, then returning to A, or whatever. 

I have been using BT emails for around 20 years. I have never had a problem with sending, or forwarding, a maximum size attachment in that time. This has only occurred in the past two weeks.

Thank you for your suggestions regarding the setting changes. I will give them a try. Similarly with the rich text format.

Incidentally, I received emails, today, from two other BT users (friends) who have been suffering with other problems since the change. They have been speaking to the BT technical department in Liverpool, who  also seem to be at a loss as to supplying a solution to these new problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 37

Agree absolutely, I've wasted hours with this new 'improved' system! keep us informed
Highlighted
Message 8 of 37

Hi Newbie

i have just joined the BT community specifically to reply to your question. It's awful! 

Two issues I think are totally rubbish are that you can't search for a keyword and if you hover over an email in your inbox it no longer tells you the senders email address which was use ful for spotting possible spam.

It is slow, clunky and dreadful. I called to complain today and the guy said there's nothing they can do about it! unbelievable.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 37

@Bikerboy1 wrote:

Hi Newbie

i have just joined the BT community specifically to reply to your question. It's awful! 

Two issues I think are totally rubbish are that you can't search for a keyword and if you hover over an email in your inbox it no longer tells you the senders email address which was use ful for spotting possible spam.

If you are using webmail (on a browser) and you are not using any of the "preview" views, if you want to see where the email has originated from you tick the box to the left of the email in the email list and then go to "More" in the menu bar and then "view source". It will give you more information than you no doubt want but it does contain all the information regarding the email and its journey to your Inbox. 

If you are using one of the "preview" views it will show you the email and its address in the preview pane when you single click the email in your list.

It is slow, clunky and dreadful. I called to complain today and the guy said there's nothing they can do about it! unbelievable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 37

This is now june 2020 and using the new BT mail has become compulsory for me now as yahoo mail has ceased. This is a nightmare! Firstly a few of my folders have gone, and so when I go to make a new one it says there is already one of that name yet it`s not there! Putting things in a folder now involves a sometimes lengthy scroll whereas before you could put the name of the folder in a box and it appeared for you to put the email in. Also you can now no longer press an up and down arrow to go through your emails, you have to click on each email. It is driving me crazy, the screen is so full too on my ipad or iphone with folders and emails with hardly any space for the body of the email. Is there any way to complain?