cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Re: BT withdrawing support for email clients

Go to solution

Today my access to my personal BT email account using my mobile email client stopped working. I have used it, together with all my other business, Microsoft and Google account emails so I can see them all in one place. 

After hours of worrying about account hacking, changing passwords, logging in online to check the BT email is working, I deleted the account from the client, then tried to add it again, to find a access denied, unable to authenticate pop up.

I phoned the BT helpline and another half hour of advice could not resolve the issue. Then I read this! The BT account still tells you you can access your email through a mobile, but in fact that only works now if you use the BT webmail app not within outlook or the phone app. BT seems to be going backwards.

Combine that with withdrawal of the BT sport app, which has  now been sold to TNT and must now be accessed through discovery, there is now less and less reasons to have a BT account.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Go to solution

Absolute nonsense if you are a residential customer.

If you are a business customer, you are posting on the wrong forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
I am not referring to a BT business account, but my residential account, so not sure why you say its nonsense?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Because it is.

BT have not withdrawn support for email clients, why would they have produced their own email client for mobiles if they were not going to support IMAP and POP3 access?

I currently use MS Outlook on my laptop and Blue Mail on my mobile.

Have you considered your problem is a fault rather than anything else?

Are you actually a BT broadband customer or paying for Premium Mail? If neither, your mail account will have been downgraded to Basic mail which is only accessible via webmail

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

It is nonsense because BT are not withdrawing support for email clients/apps. In fact BT have never "supported" email clients as in they will not assist if you have a problem with an email client/app even although BT does supply the servers and setting so that they can be used.

If you are a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account you can use BTMail with an email client or email app and not just the one's that are branded BT.

I use three different email clients/apps on my various devices and they work without problem.

If your email is not working on an email client/app and you are a BT Broadband account holder it would appear that you have a problem/fault and it is not as you have stated " The BT account still tells you you can access your email through a mobile, but in fact that only works now if you use the BT webmail app not within outlook or the phone app".

EDIT: Message crossed with the one above.

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Good grief, why assume I am not telling the truth? In answer to your question, yes I am, I am a residential BT telephone and broadband customer of some 20 years standing, and pay for the fastest they can offer in our area. I also have BT as our provider for both broadband and telephone services seperately in our business, of some 40 years standing ( broadband of course added later) The fact is that today BT broadband would not work in my email client for my personal account. Why? Neither BT technical support or much time myself trying to resolve could answer that. Please do not assume I am an idiot, it does you no credit at all, and does not address the issue. End of discussion.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

If it is the "End of discussion" I presume you do not want any assistance in trying to resolve your problem.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Nowhere in your original post did you affirm you were a residential BT customer and without a working crystal ball the questions needed to be asked to try and resolve the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
I used the words "end of discussion" in reply to the other post that said I was talking "absolute nonsense" and inferred I was posting on the wrong forum. I felt, and still do that it was a personal and unessesary comment and quite unhelpful.
I had spent over three hours of my day trying to resolve the sudden pop up message on my mobile email app saying I couldn't access my BT personal email without signing in again with my password, but when I did reinput it, it said authentication failed. Feering a hack in, I changed said password on my BT account using my PC, logged in directly to my email on thst PC to verify the new password worked.
Logged out of the PC, changed the password for BT mail on the phone..but got the same pop up. Then rang customer support at BT, who talked me through troubleshooting, and then told me to delete the account on the phone, come out of the app, go back in again add the account back in following their instructions, with of course the new password, and see what happens. However I couldn't add the account as it failed to verify from BT's end. The chap, who was so helpful ( no complaints there) said he had run out of ideas, and said I should access my BT mail using their app on the phone seperately to the other email account, i.e. log in twice to two different email systems. Then I saw these comments on the community, hence my post, a true reflection of my frustration, and hsving read thr comment above mine in this thread, I believed that the method of accessing I had nmbern using had been withdrawn. The furst reply
I got felt like an attack to be honest, for daring to suggest the support had chsnged from BT.
In any event, before I went to bed last night I had one more try to add the BT email to my phone app, and low and behold it worked fine! So I can only now assume there was a temporary technical error caused by BT and the email phone app lising contact, which in the background was resolved by then.
Thank you for getting back to me, and no I no longer need assistance on this matter.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Sorry several spelling errors in there..should have put my glasses on!!..but I hope you get my drift.
0 Ratings