cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Re: Cannot send email message

I'm getting same problem. 

"Cannot send Mail" The username or password for xxxxxx@btinternet.com is incorrect

I've changed my  BT password twice and have entered correct password into the outgoing server and get the same error message. Ive deleted the BT account then re added it but this has not fixed the problem. I've spoken to a remote BT who said theres no problem at the BT end!  Well, there is! Something is definitely wrong with the BT outgoing mail server.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cannot send emails only receive them,

Ive got the same problem. BT help is useless!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Cannot send emails only receive them,

I have moved you onto your on thread as posting your problem on other people's threads leads to confusion regarding who any intended replies are for.   

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

How do you access your email account, is it via a web browser (webmail) or using an email client/app?

What and how many devices do you use to access your email?

As regards your problem it is possibly a BT server problem and the best advice when it happens is to do nothing, especially do not change passwords or delete the account as that can cause more problems than it solves.

The first thing to do when it happens is check to see if you can log on to your email account via a web browser. If you can there is obviously nothing wrong with your password or account hence the advice to do nothing.

If the problem did not resolve its self after a day or two or in your instance where you have changed the password or deleted the email account from your device you should stop your device and any other devices from checking for email from that email account. The easiest way of doing that is to turn them off if you still have the account on your device. If you have deleted the account and it is no longer on your device do not try and add it at this time.

Once you have done that, change your email password and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour and then add the new password to your device and check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

If you use an Apple device to access your email, when you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the OUTGOING mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin....

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

I have the same error, however mine only appears when I am on wifi and will work fine if I turn wifi off on my iPhone -  was working fine until recently

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@sdpxw15 wrote:

I have the same error, however mine only appears when I am on wifi and will work fine if I turn wifi off on my iPhone -  was working fine until recently

Is it on all wifi regardless of where you are or is it only when you are at home?

If it is only when at home try a factory reset of the BT hub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

It does only appear to be on my wifi.  My pc has also just stopped sending emails too and that is on Ethernet - both still receive

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Are you a BT Broadband customer or do you pay for your email through a BT Premium email account?

Can you still send and receive emails if you log onto your email account using a web browser?

BTMail 

Can you check and report what type of email account you have by logging onto your MyBT then going to "Your Products" then "Email, Manage" then looking at the "Account Type" under the "Manage your Email" heading?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

By premium email - I use another provider for my internet - interesting that I have just deleted and added back my email account on my mail app on my PC and it’s working. I have never lost the ability to send email if I log in on line
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

What does it show if you check your MyBT as requested above?

Have you tried calling the BT Premium email Team. 0808 100 6778

0 Ratings