Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pk2002
Message 1 of 8

Re: Cannot send emails through BT SMTP server

Go to solution

Hi

Does anyone have a reolution for this

I have spent all day talking to BT and they advised me to move to another SMTP provider.

I have used BT to send my emails for years but it has now stopped working  - looks like an authentication issue with mail.btinternet.com

BT's response has been disgraceful.

I am unable to cancel my BT broadband as I am stuck in a contract until December

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
pk2002
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to send email using BT for SMTP

Go to solution

Hi

I am having this issue as well

I have sent emails via smtp on mail.btinternet.com for many years for the last few days I have got an authorisation error.

I have spent all day today trying to find someone in BT who understands how emails work but all they keep telling me is to user a different SMTP Service

I have checked all my settings and nothing has changed but BT dont seem to be interested.

I spend a considerable amount with BT for Phoneline, Broadband and BT TV and would expect the service to work and if not for BT to fix it.

The error I recieve is "Login to server mail.btinternet.com failed"

I can log into my BT account with no issues

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@pk2002wrote:

Hi

Does anyone have a reolution for this

I have spent all day talking to BT and they advised me to move to another SMTP provider.

I have used BT to send my emails for years but it has now stopped working  - looks like an authentication issue with mail.btinternet.com

BT's response has been disgraceful.

I am unable to cancel my BT broadband as I am stuck in a contract until December

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you say what your set up is? Are you with BTBroadband, and is the email address associated with the account? Do you login to the email address to check for emails?

What happens when you login via :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I have moved you onto your own thread so that you can get a response to your particular problem rather than being on another posters thread where it can become confusing as regards who any replies are meant for.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Re: Unable to send email using BT for SMTP

Go to solution

Are you using SSL on port 465? BT mail servers don't support StartTLS

0 Ratings
pk2002
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

Got this working

Eventually had web chat with BT, I think in India, guy really new his stuff rather than the UK agency workers who didn't have a clue

It turns out that the BT email account had been deactivated prior to being "Deleted in 45 days"

went through the procedure to reactivate the email and associate it with my account and it has all sprung back into life

UK based staff had told that BT had removed the SMTP facility and that I should move to another provider !

What a load of rubbish

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I don't belieeeeeeeeeeeeve it !Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Shirley55
Beginner
Message 8 of 8