cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveoftruro
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Re: Constant timing out

This new policy from BT of constantly timing out users is probably counterproductive. I currently use a 16 character random selection of upper/lower case, numbers and special characters which I store in  keypass. 

The temptation is to use a more easily memorable password so I don't keep having to look it up and copy and paste it in every 20 minutes.

Thunderbird is designed for a Mozilla browser. Is there anything which will work with Chrome?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Thunderbird is a stand alone email client product. It does not require any particular browser to work and will therefore work regardless with what ever browser you have on your computer.

0 Ratings
daveoftruro
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks.

I can't help thinking that if BT Internet had simply explained their rationale in doing this, it would have gone down a lot better than their: "We're sorry for any inconvenience these changes may cause, but this type of feature is no longer considered to be best practice for online personal security...." and stuff you!

All these advantages in communication technology and they are still using the language used by British Rail thirty years ago.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
sunbeam11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Well it is explained if you click the link on the sign in page, but it is nonetheless very annoying. I do not have to resign in to my Googlemail email all the time, and one would think Google knew what they were doing? That Google might possibly have a better idea of 'best practice' than BT do?

Presumably BT are doing it so as to be in the clear should someone decide to sue them. It's all about them, some bored suit raised the issue at a meeting and voila, all users are made to suffer

N

0 Ratings
dpatt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I quite agree.  The practice is just bonkers.  And, on top of that I am having severe difficulties with either POP3 or IMAP connections where I get a 'server rejected user log-on .. password' etc. message.  I've had a complaint followed through by the Chief Executive's complaints team (the Chat lines to India having been completely useless) and have been told that various bots in different parts of the world are trying repeated log in attempts so my POP3 or IMAP access gets blocked by Yahoo for a little period.  The solution offered?  Change my e-mail address which I'm happy to do if I can have a forward facility from my old one thus keeping the new address completely private and still getting e-mails form my old address.  Yahoo has switched off the user controllable Auto Forward (goodness knows what the rationale is for it) but you would think there would be some way of having it done centrally.  Is there?

0 Ratings
Kilo
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

I total agree with the comments but would like to add that the way it has been implemented is has not had any user testing and is not fit for purpose for the following reasons:

1. If I was only dipping in and out of my mail then it is a great idea and improves security but if you are working on other things (those minor things that mean I can earn my salary) and need to keep an email session open then this is not a solution which adds any benefits.

2. I use a password manager and drag and drop both my usename and password into the login area as required, on BT it does not clear the "generic username" out of the box, unlike everyother login I use. This means I either have to type my username in and reduce my level of security or painstakingly delete the "generic username"

3. And the biggest annoyance of all is that using Google Chrome when the email times out instead of being able to get staight back to the login screen it opens a completely browser session.

I am all for improving security but I can not believe these changes have had any sort of acceptance critteria or even testing before being released on the unsuspecting customers. If this is the best solution BT can come up with then how can they underpin a multinational company.

0 Ratings
sunbeam11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

yes to all those points

My BT is a secondary email business address so i am not using it every minute but I do use it all day so the time out is annoying as is the Chrome default to a new window to log in

If it's just to protect people using shared computers, then **** them. They should make the effort to look after themselves, not inconvenience the rest of us

0 Ratings
dpatt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I've found that if you refresh the original screen then you get a log in form and will re-open in the same window/tab that you were in before the tim-out.

0 Ratings
dpatt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I've found that if you refresh the original screen then you get a log in form and will re-open in the same window/tab that you were in before the tim-out.

0 Ratings