cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Re: Email account hacked

I typically gets lots of email everyday including SPAM.

Some goes to INBOX some to SPAM. Lots of my good important stuff actually goes to SPAM so we always check that as well.

Yesterday, Friday 8 June, we got no emails for the first time on laptop or kindle or mobile. Very strange.

Started looking in the evening and contacted BT. No immediate soltion from BT but they gave me a job ref and

are phoning me back Sunday 11am.

Started doing my own research checking all my email settings - incoming, outgoing, SSL, etc

Then I stumbled upon something I did not recognise. There is a feature called AUTOFORWARDING where you can send all your emails to another address. Someone named (or something like) EvansRogers1923@gmail.com - a complete stranger to me - was given as the forwarding address. There are two tick boxes. One to activate autoforward and one to keep a copy of the emails on my computer. This second box was not ticked so I was getting nothing appearing in my INBOX.

So I'm assuming this autoforwarding was only just happening for a day.

So I will be checking that for a while to see whether EvansRogers tries again.

I think this may constitute hacking my BT Account.

They other thing I will have to backtrack on is whether my sent emails actually got sent so I will resend a few important ones and ask the recipient to let me know whether they got them once or twice.

Regards

Stan Hatton, West Yorkshire

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

I think I was just hacked on Friday, 6 June.

And I think when going through all my settings that I stumbled on a potentially very worrying weakness in the BT system.

There is a facility I don't use called AUTOFORWARDING.

When I examined the status of that feature there was a forwarding address in there that I'd never seen before

Something like EvansRogers1923@gmail.com. I had no idea who that is.

There are two tock boxes. One to active autoforwarding and a second one to keep a copy of my emails on my own computer. This second box was not ticked.

If this only happened Friday that was why I was not getting any emails.

If I'm right then by disabling this autoforward feature I should in theory start getting emails again. Unfortunately when I unticked autoforwarding and saved the spurious email address disappeared so the number 1923 is only my best guess.

Guess what? Thats exactly what happened. I started getting emails again. Unfortunately I did not get back all the emails I should have received yesterday. They are long gone to EvansRogers1923@gmail.com. Enjoy EvansRogers.

But I've got your number EvansRogers !!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

If there was an address in the Autoforwarding box that you never put there it would appear that you may well have been hacked.

You should make sure that you change the password on your email account and you should keep an eye on any of your Internet banking accounts.

I would run a malware scan on the computer and after doing that change all the passwords of your bank accounts etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@stanhwrote:

I think I was just hacked on Friday, 6 June.

And I think when going through all my settings that I stumbled on a potentially very worrying weakness in the BT system.

If I'm right then by disabling this autoforward feature I should in theory start getting emails again. Unfortunately when I unticked autoforwarding and saved the spurious email address disappeared so the number 1923 is only my best guess
But I've got your number EvansRogers !!!

Hi.

The hacker will change email address randomly - so it will not be used for long. With you posting in here, they may well have already moved on. You seem uncertain what the forwarding address is from your post above - however that's not particularly relevant now.

Your course of action was to make a note of the forwarding address, remove it as you've done - and change your password immediately. Google abuse desk perhaps should have been notified for them to investigate that account.

Luckily you did pick up the issue very quickly and maybe any expected emails weren't too much personal stuff.

As gg30304 pointed out, you also need to do other checks and probable password changes in case you have been compromised.

Not sure what you mean about you stumbling on a worrying weakness - autoforwarding isn't a weakness, it's a feature of BTMail (BTYahoo mail doesn't have it any more).

If I may, the issue is that someone managed to get your email details including password. There are a few ways this could be done, phishing & malware are likely causes. Have you responded an email (or even text or phone) pretending to be from BT? There are a lot of these about - some saying IP address compromised from California, account about to be shut down, account about to be moved etc etc.

Many unfortunately do fall for these scams, causing them a lot of bother.

0 Ratings