cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MPaulLloyd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Re: Email account hacked

Hi everyone, I'm new on here but I got the heads up on your discussion via a colleauge. I seem to have been having similar difficulties and have sent the following to the BT complaints department.

Thought it might be of interest?

On Tuesday of this week I found I was unable to access my email account and on making enquiries was told it had been hacked. I was given a new password and then received the following.   My account was hacked [Incident:xxxxxx-xxxxxx]

Show Details

From

To

• [removed]

Response

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Your Incident ID is: xxxxxx-xxxxxx

If you are reporting abuse, we appreciate your efforts to make our community better. We will investigate and take action where appropriate, and may contact you if additional information is required to complete our investigation.

• If you are submitting a request for assistance, or asking a question, we will respond as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Yahoo! Customer Care Team

This has happened before and it's really annoying all the moreso because you will not allow passwords that contain anything other than letters and numerals which severely limits the possible combinations.

Then it happened again.

When I phoned up to see if I could gain access to my emails and was surprised to find it is now a premium rate line at £1.53 a minute so why did it take over 17 minutes to sort it out? This seems to be far too long simply to change a password and let me get on with my day? During this slice out of my life it was suggested that I was probably being 'specifically  targeted' so of course I was concerned that this might keep happening and was told they had a solution and put me through to an operator who wanted my bank card details!? Ok alarm bells are ringing now, and then the bombshell, yes they could fix my problem for me for a one time payment of £199.99...............

I suggested that I could sort it myself for a lot less but apparently only ‘your’ software was capable of tracking down and removing the offending virus from my computer.

I then made a suggestion put forward by a good friend who works for the Home Office knows about these things that I could just wipe my hard drive using http://killdisc.com/ and reinstall my software as I have taken the precaution of backing it all up but was countered with rather vague comments about what might happen next time and really ‘your’ software is the only solution to my problem..... Actually I don't see how it is my problem, after all I pay good money to use BT broadband its services already and this all seems a bit like being asked by the local council to fill the pot-holes in the road I use to go to work each day!! Sorry but really this is not my responsibility it is yours.

However I was still concerned about another attack and  I really wanted to know what was involved so I agreed in principle to have a go and was duly booked in for an appointment that evening 8pm. The technician was very pleasant and instructed me to visit www.thetechline.co.uk/launch and  I got a page not found error message, not a good start but we persevered for twenty minutes only to find that teamviewer 8.0 would not download onto my hard drive and then my time was obviously up as I was told that a senior technician would get back to me same time the next evening, ok, I'm a patient man. Although this Team Viewer is just an off the shelf piece of software that anyone can access for free so I wasn’t very impressed I must say.

Anyway the following evening at 7pm 28th Feb, not 8pm as previously agreed! and right in the middle of my evening meal with absolutely nothing set-up at all and I actually found myself apologising to the technician for being unprepared! Why I do not know? However he assured me he 'had all the time in the world' so that's ok then, and so we proceed as the night before but eventually manage to get the teamviewer 8.0 downloaded onto to my netbook and so he hangs up saying it will all be fine and to get on with my evening, and so he takes control and begins to download Superantispyware Proffessional Trial Edition, but hang on Trail edition? As in free!? What? I checked on this and it is just some dodgy trial edition of a rather less than professional piece of American software retailing at a mere $19.95 which Microsoft do a far better version of for free to all. Anyway what with teamviewer 8.0 and Superantispyware both on my little netbook the poor thing to froze after just a few seconds and although the technician assured me that he had checked it at ten minute intervals absolutely nothing happened for a full hour, because I was sat watching the whole time, by which time I was losing patience and really just wanted to go to bed. His dismay was palpable, 'we have to get this onto your main laptop' his voice rent with near panic and so I tried again but no my trusty old Dell Inspiron 1300 just wouldn't have it. So he basically ‘had to go and deal with another customer.. Oh Fine, that's just fine, two evenings utterly ruined but hey-ho never mind eh?

What I want to know is how you can be so brazen as to take £199.99 from my account today 1st March 2013 for not providing something almost anyone with a modicum of computer savvy could do for them selves for free? I accept that you are doing is not actually illegal but it is deeply unethical.

I therefore demand an immediate return of my money or I will be taking this further.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 2

Re: Email account hacked

@MPaulLloyd wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new on here but I got the heads up on your discussion via a colleauge. I seem to have been having similar difficulties and have sent the following to the BT complaints department.

Thought it might be of interest?

On Tuesday of this week I found I was unable to access my email account and on making enquiries was told it had been hacked. I was given a new password and then received the following.   My account was hacked

From

To

Response

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Your Incident ID is:

If you are reporting abuse, we appreciate your efforts to make our community better. We will investigate and take action where appropriate, and may contact you if additional information is required to complete our investigation.

• If you are submitting a request for assistance, or asking a question, we will respond as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Yahoo! Customer Care Team

This has happened before and it's really annoying all the moreso because you will not allow passwords that contain anything other than letters and numerals which severely limits the possible combinations.

Then it happened again.

When I phoned up to see if I could gain access to my emails and was surprised to find it is now a premium rate line at £1.53 a minute so why did it take over 17 minutes to sort it out? This seems to be far too long simply to change a password and let me get on with my day? During this slice out of my life it was suggested that I was probably being 'specifically  targeted' so of course I was concerned that this might keep happening and was told they had a solution and put me through to an operator who wanted my bank card details!? Ok alarm bells are ringing now, and then the bombshell, yes they could fix my problem for me for a one time payment of £199.99...............

I suggested that I could sort it myself for a lot less but apparently only ‘your’ software was capable of tracking down and removing the offending virus from my computer.

I then made a suggestion put forward by a good friend who works for the Home Office knows about these things that I could just wipe my hard drive using [xxxxxx] and reinstall my software as I have taken the precaution of backing it all up but was countered with rather vague comments about what might happen next time and really ‘your’ software is the only solution to my problem..... Actually I don't see how it is my problem, after all I pay good money to use BT broadband its services already and this all seems a bit like being asked by the local council to fill the pot-holes in the road I use to go to work each day!! Sorry but really this is not my responsibility it is yours.

However I was still concerned about another attack and  I really wanted to know what was involved so I agreed in principle to have a go and was duly booked in for an appointment that evening 8pm. The technician was very pleasant and instructed me to visit [xxxxx] and  I got a page not found error message, not a good start but we persevered for twenty minutes only to find that teamviewer 8.0 would not download onto my hard drive and then my time was obviously up as I was told that a senior technician would get back to me same time the next evening, ok, I'm a patient man. Although this Team Viewer is just an off the shelf piece of software that anyone can access for free so I wasn’t very impressed I must say.

Anyway the following evening at 7pm 28th Feb, not 8pm as previously agreed! and right in the middle of my evening meal with absolutely nothing set-up at all and I actually found myself apologising to the technician for being unprepared! Why I do not know? However he assured me he 'had all the time in the world' so that's ok then, and so we proceed as the night before but eventually manage to get the teamviewer 8.0 downloaded onto to my netbook and so he hangs up saying it will all be fine and to get on with my evening, and so he takes control and begins to download Superantispyware Proffessional Trial Edition, but hang on Trail edition? As in free!? What? I checked on this and it is just some dodgy trial edition of a rather less than professional piece of American software retailing at a mere $19.95 which Microsoft do a far better version of for free to all. Anyway what with teamviewer 8.0 and Superantispyware both on my little netbook the poor thing to froze after just a few seconds and although the technician assured me that he had checked it at ten minute intervals absolutely nothing happened for a full hour, because I was sat watching the whole time, by which time I was losing patience and really just wanted to go to bed. His dismay was palpable, 'we have to get this onto your main laptop' his voice rent with near panic and so I tried again but no my trusty old Dell Inspiron 1300 just wouldn't have it. So he basically ‘had to go and deal with another customer.. Oh Fine, that's just fine, two evenings utterly ruined but hey-ho never mind eh?

What I want to know is how you can be so brazen as to take £199.99 from my account today 1st March 2013 for not providing something almost anyone with a modicum of computer savvy could do for them selves for free? I accept that you are doing is not actually illegal but it is deeply unethical.

I therefore demand an immediate return of my money or I will be taking this further.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Please go back and edit your post to remove the email address and reference number.

Sorry to hear of the problem.

Firstly, what number did you ring up ? The helpine is an 0800 number, free from landlines.

The whole story actually looks like you've not been talking to BT at all, but to scammers. What was the 199.99 billed to ?

BT as far as I know do not instruct people to install teamviewer.

As for downloading Superantispyware, there is a free version anyway. "They" may have done more than just install this, and possibly used that as a decoy whilst doing something else.

Honestly, if you do online banking, I would contact them immediately to say that you may have fallen victim to ID fraud. Also cancel that card.

As for the password, it's not inherently insecure. Using a mixture of case and numbers is fine. Frankly if it has happened before, then I would say you have a more serious issue - possibly viruses/trojans or malware.

Do you use your email address as the login for various online websites, and for an associated password have you ever used the email password ?

Killdisc.com isn't what you might think it is.

Also by using a different machine, you've possibly got that infected as well.

All of this has nothing to do with your email account being hacked I'm afraid.

0 Ratings