cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YvonneR
Beginner
Message 1 of 26

Re: Impossible to use client mail programs (Outlook on PC or Mail app on IPhone with my bt email add

Go to solution

Hello.  Did you get the problem sorted out?  A month ago I changed my password and now I can't add my BT email account to any of my devices, ie, mobile, ipad or kindle.  I have made numerous calls to BT and it was escalated to their "Tech Team".  I deleted the accounts on my devices on BT advice and told to add them again but it hasn't worked and I keep getting message saying Username or password not correct for mail.btinternet.com.  Sometimes I can add the account but it will not pull in emails from server and I can't send any either.  I have been to the EE and Apple shops who both say it is a BT server problem.  I am so frustrated with BT.  I have been with them for 40 years and I have just renewed my contract in March until September 2020 and I deeply regret that now as it will cost an arm and a leg to get out of the contract.  (They were quick enough to let me know that the BT sport part of the package is to increase though).  I have an open complaint and will keep it open until I can get it to the ombudsman (who probably won't do anything either).  I have asked BT for copies of all telephone recordings as some of the BT "help" team have been every rude especially the overseas ones.  Can anyone help at all.  I am at the end of my tether with BT.  I wish I could leave.  I just want to add my accounts to my devices, it's not too much to ask for is it, especially when you pay so much for the package.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Impossible to use client mail programs (Outlook on PC or Mail app on IPhone with my bt email add

Go to solution

I have moved you onto your own thread so that you get answers to your specific problem and avoid confusion with answers on the other thread.

There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. If you changed your password because you could not access your email account and your the advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves, as you have now found out.

If all your devices stopped accessing your email at the same time and you were still able to access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email accounts or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two. 

Because you have deleted and reset up your email on your devices and changed your password I would suggest that you do the following:

Switch off all your devices or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.

If you delete the email account make sure that you re-start the device before attempting to set up the email account again.

Change your webmail email password yet again. Check that it is working and that you can access the email account via a browser.

Wait at least 30 minutes before starting one of your devices and set up the email account with the new password.

Check that this device s working before moving onto the next device.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

Hi, I did get it fixed, but it took help from the moderators on this forum, who eventually got me in touch with the right department. The problem IS on the server side and they have to take action to fix it individually for your account, it seems. Ask for someone to get in touch here.

0 Ratings
YvonneR
Beginner
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply.  When I made the big mistake of changing password, I had to get email team from BT to help me change it because I had forgotten how to do it.  While she was changing it she said my email address was not linked to my account, so she linked it (I don't know why it wasn't linked as I have had the same email address for years amd have renewed my contract with BT many times).   Since my email address was linked I now have the same password for My BT webpage and email which I did not have before, I had separate passwords.  It was after this that I could not change the password on my devices.  I have added my account to devices and changed my password before on many occasions with no problems.  I have tried changing password again and switched off devices then tried to add account but still without success.   As I said I can add the account to my phone but I can't receive or send emails and the guy in the EE shop tried to add it too and said my emails weren't pulling in from the server.  On my ipad and kindle I can't even get to the manual set up because as soon as I put my email address and password in it says incorrect user name or password.  I can get into my email on a web browser but it's a bit of a long way round to get emails.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

On your ipad and phone  select "other" when setting it up and if that doesn't allow manual set up put an incorrect email address in and the system should default to the manual set up process.

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

That most likely won't help, unfortunately. I went through all of the methods and solutions, and nothing worked until BT made an internal change to my account. It did take speaking to around 15 people before they admitted that the problem was internal and that they knew how to fix it. Again, I recommend getting a mod on the forum to put you inn touch with the right team. It is the only thing that worked for me after months of dealing with the problem.

You will get a lot of kind and well-meaning advice from people here - but if your problem is the same as mine was - you will have to get assistance from the team at BT who helped me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

@ey7777  IF the problem is the same as yours.

Otherwise the advice given in this thread and others works for 90% of cases and is a simple fix to be tried first.

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

Yes, however it really sounds like the same problem (there are several points where her problem and mine are identical and slightly different from a "normal" problem that can be solved without intervention), and I have been reading endless streams of posts from people who end up going down the same path with no positive results. I was told many times that one of the standard solutions would work - and none of them did - so I understand the frustration.

0 Ratings
YvonneR
Beginner
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Hi.  Thanks for all your posts.  I have again spoken to BT today for an hour and a half but this time managed to get two very helpful people from the UK.  They tried to add my accounts to devices in their centre but they couldn't do it either.  I have another theory on why I can't add my account to my devices.  When BT changed my password and linked my email address to my account when I went into my emails after that I saw that I was back on BT Yahoo.  Before that I had been migrated a couple of years ago to BT mail.  I know from googling the problem that BT Yahoo is not supported on third party apps.  I don't know why I have suddenly been moved back to BT Yahoo but I think that may be the problem now.  I asked BT how I could get moved back to BT mail and they said they did not think I can be moved back to BT mail.  I thought BT were migrating all email accounts to BT mail but apparently, according to the person I spoke to today, is not the case.   Ombudsman only solution now and getting copies of my telephone calls so that they can see how BT treat their customers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

I very much doubt if you were moved to BT Mail and then reverted to BTYahoo. Not sure what you mean when you say BTYahoo is not supported on third party apps, you can use BTYahoo on any app you like if you use the correct details as posted here https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/I-need-help-setting-up-my-BT-email-Advice/td-p/1718052

0 Ratings