Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jontine
Beginner
Message 1 of 30

Re: Lost email folders

Go to solution

I have a Samsung J6 and use Outlook linked to BT Mail on my laptop as the master source of data.  Until recently, when I synchronised my mobile, "My Folders" would appear in the list of folders and, when I deleted items, they would appear in the recycling bin.  When I deleted them from the recycling bin they would not return.  Now, when set up with POP3, "My Folders" do not appear in the list of folders (except in BT Mail) but deleted items remain deleted on the mobile.  When I change to IMAP "My Folders" reappear but so do previously deleted items.  How can I  return to my original position where "My Folders" appear but deleted items do not?  Could it be that an update has changed things without my knowledge?  If so, how can I revert?  I can get round the problem by deleting trash from BT Mail but don't want to do so if it can be avoided.  At one time there was an option in BT Mail to empty trash after a pre-selected time but the only option now is to empty on logout and I rarely need to login - other than through Outlook.

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Go to solution

I have moved your post to start a new topic as it is different to the one you posted on.

Unless you configure both the Samsung and Outlook as IMAP they will not be in sync.

You need to also sync the Trash folder on the Samsung where you will be able to delete items as you previously did in Deleted Items.

0 Ratings
jontine
Beginner
Message 3 of 30

Go to solution

Many thanks.  I have tried to change my Outlook settings from POP3 to IMAP as you suggest but the option is greyed out.  Also, I can't understand why this problem has suddenly arisen after a few years of behaving as I expected and without me making any changes.   Anything else I could try?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

You can't  change from POP3 to IMAP on the fly.

Have you synced the Trash folder on the Samsung?

0 Ratings
jontine
Beginner
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

Yes - and the previously deleted emails are still there.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

Are you saying that if you delete them from the Trash folder on the Samsung, they reappear?

0 Ratings
jontine
Beginner
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

Yes.  They disappear at first but reappear next time the Recycle Bin synchronises.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

So you have Trash Folder and a recycling bin folder on the Samsung? Deleting items should send them to Trash

0 Ratings
jontine
Beginner
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

No Trash folder - only Recycle Bin (amongst others such as Spam, Bulk Mail, Drafts, Etc).  I can get rid of this problem by reverting to POP3 but then all the "My Folders" items disappear from the Samsung.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

You need to map the recycle bin to trash in settings

0 Ratings