cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SXJ
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Re: Not all emails are getting through to me

Completely new to this forum, or any forum - but need some help with our btinternet email address. I have just discovered that some messages are not getting through to me, and they’re not going into Spam either. Not sure how long it has been going on as thankfully don’t use email prolifically, but am slightly concerned - 3 emails in 4 days just not arrived, and the senders not aware of it (they haven’t received any message to inform them their emails haven’t been delivered). 2 emails were group emails and everyone else received them, it was just me with a btinternet email address who didn’t.

Please can anyone help.. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
ChrisB
Expert
Message 2 of 10

It's BT's bulk email filters that they deny they use that's causing the problem.
0 Ratings
BaoBao
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi SXJ

I had a similar, maybe the same, problem, which turned out to be caused by malware on my Mac.

Yes, Macs these days do get viruses etc although I cannot think how it got there as I am super-cautious about opening unsolicited emails and links etc.

Anyway, the malware was devious - it operated at random so I received some emails and not others.  Also, when recipients clicked on the Reply To button, the malware sometimes converted my email suffix to .con (yes, .con) so emails were sent to me but never arrived.

So it was all very frustrating and time-consuming, but in the end got fixed quite easily by a call to Apple's excellent Support team.  They talked me through how to remove the malware and install protective software (Malware Bytes)

Hope this is helpful

0 Ratings
SXJ
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thank you for messaging back, and apologies for not responding - it's only now I'm on lockdown, that I've actually gone back and checked on this.  I do think it is the BT filters - I don't think I'm actually missing many emails - but obviously don't know which ones I do miss...

0 Ratings
SXJ
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for getting back to me - I'd literally forgotten about this and because of Covid - am going through things.  I don't use a MAC - we have a desktop, we have ipads, and iphones.

It's only a small issue - I use the email for personal reasons only - and literally only close friends etc. have it, so I hope that I don't miss much - but it is obviously frustrating that things do go "missing".

Thank you again

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

There are a few posts on this subject and I’m now convinced it’s a BT server issue. I have a couple of standby email addresses with other ISPs and to keep them alive do test emails now and again. A couple of days ago I sent some tests from a GMX account to my Bt mail addresses some took several hours to come through, one took almost 24 hours and two were bounced back by BT. The same tests were done at the same time to a Gmail account and were received instantly. I did some tests again today and they all came through within a minute.

0 Ratings
SXJ
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for that, it's very interesting.  I suppose then the only real option is to start using another ISP email address (a pain getting in contact with old uni mates etc.).  Just as a matter of interest, do you know of anywhere that I can log it with BT - or is that just pointless?  Am not anti BT but would like an email that works.  Please don't worry if you don't.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

As far as I am aware the only way to log this as an issue would be via the normal help line or online chat. Whether that would then  be passed on to the relevant department is another issue. BT seem particularly strong to emphasise their mail security and suspect their spam filtering is a little over zealous.

From memory it is quite easy to setup free email addresses with the likes of hotmail, Gmail and other ISPs. It may be worth trying one or more and undertaking occasional tests to see if that highlights your problem and if so changing your main client eventually.

0 Ratings
SXJ
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Ok, thank you

0 Ratings
Brian8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I’m having this same problem. I do voluntary work for FREEreg putting parish records on line for free. My supervisor has a hit rate of about one in four. In other words out of four emails she sends me only one will get through. Has anybody finally sorted this problem?

0 Ratings