cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EQUINOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Re: Outlook 2016 (Office 365) cannot send emails

I have office 2016 and use outlook 365. A few weeks ago I started getting error send/receive and could not send or receive emails. After hours on chat lines to BT and Microsoft they took control of my computer without success and blamed each other. I found that if I switched off my btHUB6 then back on again which takes five minutes to reset then it all worked . Now I find that every time I switch the computer on I get the send/receive error and have to spend five or six minutes switching off and back on to remove the error. I have replaced the BTHUB6 with a new one but the problem is still there. Does anyone else know of this problem?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

If you are getting the error when you turn on your computer it would appear to be a computer/Outlook problem rather than a BT email problem.

I am presuming that you are using a Windows based computer. If you are, try running the Microsoft System File Checker as per this link. It should find and repair any corrupted system files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

Windows 10:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

0 Ratings
EQUINOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I tried this but it does not work. I am using Windows 10 and have changed my HUB6 for a new one. Everything else works without a problem. I can use the internet and use G-MAIL but get a SEND/RECEIVE error on OUTLOOK 365 comes up when I switch on my computer and select OUTLOOK 365. If I switch the HUB6 off and then back on, which takes five or six minutes, the error goes away and my emails roll in as normal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

To try and establish where the fault may lie:-

It sounds like there may be a delay between the computer starting and Outlook/Office 365 connecting with the server. 

What happens if you start your computer and wait for at least 10 minutes before opening Outlook?

0 Ratings
EQUINOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

I have just tried that. I switched the computer on and waited fifteen minues before clicking on OUTLOOK365 but I still got the SEND/RECEIVE error.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

What happens once you get the error if you press F9 a few times after Outlook has opened?

0 Ratings
EQUINOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I tried that but still no joy.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Just to make sure I have understood everything so far because I am not sure about this part:-

You turn on your computer and it immediately comes up with an Outlook error prior to you opening Outlook.

or is it:

You turn on your computer and as soon as you try to open Outlook it comes up with the error.

Can you confirm that when the computer starts, although there is a problem with Outlook everything else that uses the Internet works correctly?

Can you confirm that if you switch your Smarthub off and on again without doing anything else on the computer, when the Smarthub re-connects Outlook works as it should until the next time you re-start your computer.

How are you connecting to the Smarthub, is it by Ethernet or by Wireless?

Are you able to try your computer at a different location such as at a friend or relation's house. This would help eliminate/confirm if the problem is with the computer/Outlook or with your broadband connection.

0 Ratings
EQUINOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

It is a desktop not a laptop, connected by ethernet cable. The send/receive error only appears when I open outlook365. G-MAIL works ok but I don't use that normally. After switching the hub off and back on again outlook365 continues to work until I turn the computer off.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Thanks for that clarity.

Very odd that it all works OK after you restart the hub but I still feel it is a problem with your computer/Outlook rather than with your broadband.

Presumably you can not take the PC to another location?

Just trying a shot in the dark. Can you go into your network adaptor and disable IPv6 then go through your normal start up procedure and try Outlook.

If there is no change re-enable IPv6.

0 Ratings