I, too, have been suffering with this problem for some time now and so today decided to do an internet search to see if it was a known problem and whether there was a simple fix. Having read the entire thread, I was convinced the matter was straightforward and that all I had to do was (somehow) to change my POP3 account to IMAP. However, on looking at the account settings, I can see that they are all already set to IMAP/SMTP.
So is there a new solution to the problem, or are people still putting up with this odd behaviour?
Solved! Go to Solution.
I have moved you onto your own thread because the one you posted on was two years old and was in relation to POP3 accounts and you have stated that your email account has been set up as an IMAP account.
Can you confirm that you are on the BTYahoo email system or the BTMail system.
If you are not sure you should log onto your email account via webmail, ie use a web browser. If you look at the BT logo. If you see Yahoo you are on the BTYahoo system.
Can you supply which email client you are using and that you are using the correct settings as per this link
thank you for the response and apologies for the delay in replying - I didn't get any email to state that there had been an answer. Whilst moving to a new thread makes sense in terms of time, it DOES mean that the symptoms have been lost for anyone else that may suffer from the same problem.
We are on BT Yahoo Mail - as shown by the logo and the fact that whenever the web browser session expires, it defaults to the Yahoo log in page. However, annoyingly, one cannot log in again using that login page but one has to go back to the BT login page!
We use Outlook 2016 as an email client and it monitors 6 different email accounts - 5 of which are BT Yahoo accounts. I checked the settings on one of them as per the link that you provided and noticed that the mail server names were set to imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com rather than mail.btinternet.com. I updated them both and a quick test showed that the messages did appear to be marked as read. Later in the day, I'll get around to updating the other four accounts and see whether it fixes the problem.