Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BorderReiver
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Re: POP3 no longer marks emails as read - YAHOO change

Go to solution

I, too, have been suffering with this problem for some time now and so today decided to do an internet search to see if it was a known problem and whether there was a simple fix.  Having read the entire thread, I was convinced the matter was straightforward and that all I had to do was (somehow) to change my POP3 account to IMAP.  However, on looking at the account settings, I can see that they are all already set to IMAP/SMTP.

So is there a new solution to the problem, or are people still putting up with this odd behaviour?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Go to solution

I have moved you onto your own thread because the one you posted on was two years old and was in relation to POP3 accounts and you have stated that your email account has been set up as an IMAP account.

Can you confirm that you are on the BTYahoo email system or the BTMail system.

If you are not sure you should log onto your email account via webmail, ie use a web browser. If you look at the BT logo. If you see Yahoo you are on the BTYahoo system.

Can you supply which email client you are using and that you are using the correct settings as per this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

gg30340,

thank you for the response and apologies for the delay in replying - I didn't get any email to state that there had been an answer.  Whilst moving to a new thread makes sense in terms of time, it DOES mean that the symptoms have been lost for anyone else that may suffer from the same problem.

We are on BT Yahoo Mail - as shown by the logo and the fact that whenever the web browser session expires, it defaults to the Yahoo log in page.  However, annoyingly, one cannot log in again using that login page but one has to go back to the BT login page!

We use Outlook 2016 as an email client and it monitors 6 different email accounts - 5 of which are BT Yahoo accounts.  I checked the settings on one of them as per the link that you provided and noticed that the mail server names were set to imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com rather than mail.btinternet.com.  I updated them both and a quick test showed that the messages did appear to be marked as read.  Later in the day, I'll get around to updating the other four accounts and see whether it fixes the problem.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
So far, so good. All email accounts changed to the BT server and, up until now, the messages appear to get marked as read.
So thanks for the heads up.
~BR
0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
I marked this as solved - as the problem had appeared to have gone away after changing the settings. However, I have found that it has not disappeared completely. Some emails still do not get set to 'Read' after double clicking and reading, nor even when explicitly set to 'Read' in Outlook. Since it is intermittent and less frequent, I assume that we shall just have to live with it.
0 Ratings