Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 21 of 35

Re: POP3 server not working in 01243 area

Millmo:

Please explain what you do to "reset" the password.  Do you mean to CHANGE the password, or is it possible to re-enter the SAME password in the "change password" dialog, and does this fix the problem for you.  For me, changing the password every day would be very difficult, since I have several devices on my network (for example my router) which need email access, and the POP3/SMTP password would need to be changed on each one. One of these devices is some distance away and I would need to bring it back here to change the password.  If it is possible to "reset" the password WITHOUT changing it, then maybe that is a short-term solution for me.

Peter M 

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 35

Peter, I get similar problems using POP3 and MS Outlook on my pc. What I have found that usually works; go to mail.yahoo and sign in with your bt e mail account details, then sign out. I find this seems to 'reset' the system somehow and I can then receive e mail via MS outlook. I do not use bt webmail as it such a poor system. I hope this works for you.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 23 of 35

landie57:

I had tried that before and it didn't work.  I tried it again just now and it didn't work, but something odd happened while I was doing it, and that gave me an idea.  I do have an account with yahoo.co.uk with a yahoo.co.uk email address, and whenever I log into yahoo.com, it asks me to select the account I want to log into from a list, but the yahoo.co.uk account is the ONLY one listed. There is an "add account" button at the bottom so I decided to try that and was presented with the yahoo sign-in box, pre-filled with the yahoo account details.  I editted that box to my btinternet.com email and password.  That then got me to the familiar BTYahoo webmail Inbox.

Then I signed out of that, and my email client now WORKS!  I hope I can remember all this.

But this isn't the solution, it's a work-around.  I don't envy BT trying to fix it properly!

Peter M

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 35

Peter, glad to hear you at least have a work round. To me it suggests an issue with the yahoo server and whatever handshake (or whatever it is called) it does when using e mail client. With so many experiencing similar problems maybe it is time to draft a standard letter for all of us to send to the CEO of BT, as call centre is next to usless.

0 Ratings
millimo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 35

Hi Peter,

Yes, Reset, means changing the password.  Like I said, this seems to work for me for about 15 days then stops again, and then changing the password fixes it straight away.

I know it's annoying, as you need to update all your devices, it was just a workaround suggestion until they can resolve it. (if they are even looking!)

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 26 of 35

landie57:

I want to double-check this before shouting too loud - I will wait until the POP3 server stops working again and see if this kludge still works.  For me at least this fault starts and ends spontaneously and its just possible that it was a coincidence that it cleared itself just as I was tinkering.  Murphy's law (or is it Sod's law).

Millimo:  Maybe you can try this, see if it is easier for you than changing the password.  If it works then maybe others can try it too.  It may be that it only works if you do it in a particular way.

Peter M

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 35

@millimo wrote:

Hi Peter,

Yes, Reset, means changing the password.  Like I said, this seems to work for me for about 15 days then stops again, and then changing the password fixes it straight away.

I know it's annoying, as you need to update all your devices, it was just a workaround suggestion until they can resolve it. (if they are even looking!)

This might/possibly won't work but could be worth a try to save some hassle.

Instead of changing the password on all your devices, try turning them off before you change the password on webmail, change the webmail password which you say clears the problem. Log out then back in with the new password then if the system allows you to re-use your password, change your password back to the "old" password and then turn on one device and try to get your email.

If that works it will at least save you changing all the devices passwords every time the problem happens.

Cilgwyn
Contributor
Message 28 of 35

Surprising how little changes!  I've just found a post to the forum I made in November 2011 about the same issue -

"Since then I've been contacted several times by the BTi-Yahoo interface team - admittedly they haven't provided a cure - but reading behind some of their carefully chosen words it seems to me that BT are sure the problem lies with Yahoo, but are unable, or unwilling to get them to take up the matter.  Further calls have been promised for tomorrow evening."

The problem used to be associateed with specific server(s), it may be me but I can't find any header details in Outlook.  Isit still possible?
0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 29 of 35

Cilgywn:

HAve a look at my posts in the "Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP" thread.  I was tipped-off by someone suggesting this possible fix, tried it myself  and it didn't work, then had another idea and refined the fix and now 4 of us have found it works to restore access to POP3/SMTP/IMAP servers via an email client.

If you encounter a 64-second timeout when accessing POP3 or IMAP, then your client gives you either a timeout error or password rejection message. try this..

In your browser, go to "mail.yahoo.com". In the sign-in box on the right, enter your btinternet.com email address and your btinternet password.  If (like me) you do actually have a Yahoo account, this box will probably be pre-loaded with the yahoo username/password.  Edit these to your btinternet username/password exactly as you would enter them into the BT login box.

You will end up in the familiar BTYahoo webmail page. Click on "Sign Out" in the top right corner.

If it works as it has done for the others, you will now be able to access your email via the email client.  It may go off again eventually (after 12 hours or a day or two).  This trick "unlocks" the fault but doesn't cure it.  Repeat this sign-in-sign-out trick via the mail.yahoo.com page each time you encounter the problem.

This is a work-around rather than a solution, but I think we can now hope that a solution will not be far away.

Peter M

0 Ratings
Cilgwyn
Contributor
Message 30 of 35

Sorry, should have acknowledged that the work round was working for me.  I've been away with no wifi for a few days.  The problem had cleared immediately before I went away but was apparent once we came home last night.  Hadn't cleared by 2300 but was ok first thing this morning but back by mid morning.  Passed to 3 different people last night, then NU'd when I pushed for an escalation.

0 Ratings