Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMW321
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

Go to solution

I have been getting pretty reasoanable service (mostly) for years without undue problems but two days ago i suddenly got the "The server refused the connection" message and the error code 0x08000cccoe. Tried some of the solutions in the various forums to no avail.

Then tried the BT Chat and connected to Sweeta who recommended changing my password..... which, to be fair, appeared to work fro some people. That was easier said than done but i eventually managed to enable access to both my BT email accounts..... on the web via the yahoo login, but Outlook 2007 still cannot connect.

Then Sweeta ended the chat without warning.

I struggled on and then tried a new chat yesterday.

Sandeep went through all the same stuff and then recommended I try the BT help pages and the MS. Plus I should verify all my settings. But my settings have not changed. He said it was not a BT problem but an MS problem and that Outlook was always a bit of a problem. Then he too suddenly ended the chat without having ensured he had solved the problem.

Of course, that Sweeta and Snadeep both ended the chat when the usual fixes failed suggests they know they have no clue what is going on and are directed to terminate any "time wasting".

Easy enough to imply that it is Outlook and that Outlook struggles when it has too many emails stored or when the pst files are corrupted but this is nonsense. I have four IMAP emails and only the two BT emails have failed which says to me it is their problem and they can't/won't solve it and have no clue.

Maybe they did something on 1st June that trashed my connection? Something to do with the new data protection laws? Sanddep did say something about that.

But very unhappy with BT and their customer service/technical support.

PS MS Outlook has it right. It wasn't "Cannot conect with server" but "The server refused the connection." i.e. a server side problem.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
JMW321
Beginner
Message 2 of 18

Go to solution
Surprised that BT haven't figured that one out.
0 Ratings
neyla12
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

use Gmail instead. Gmail can also fetch e-mail from all of your BT e-mail accounts.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

>> use Gmail instead. Gmail can also fetch e-mail from all of your BT e-mail accounts.

That doesn't work.  If you can't access your BT email via POP3 or IMAP, then Gmail can't either!

Peter M

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Have you tried the work round; log in via mail.yahoo.com , not via BT site, then log out, do not click stay connected. This works for me and a lot of others.

chalk58
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

I changed the account name and set the ports back to default and all works again, last 3 days mail sent and received.

0 Ratings
JMW321
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks for the suggestion but it refused that solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Your problem will have nothing to do with the new Data Protection Laws so the Customer Service rep was talking rubbish with regards to that.

This problem periodically happens and has been going on for years. The best thing to do is nothing and especially not change the password because it is not a password issue which can be verified by logging onto webmail. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two.

However since you have already changed the password are you now able to log on via webmail? 

If you are, you should now check all your settings on Outlook are correct as per this link.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

If they are as per the link and you can still not connect, because you have said you are on the BTYahoo email system you could try using the Yahoo server settings as per this link.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3697.html

If you are using Outlook on more than one device, turn off the other devices and only work on one at a time to stop muliple attempts to connect until you have resolved the issue.

JMW321
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks. I will try the Yahoo settings. Incidentally,one suggestions was that it could be a certificate issue and today when I try to log into the community firefox had kittens: "The owner of community.bt.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."
0 Ratings
JMW321
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Distinguished Sage is an apt moniker.

I tried the yahoo settings and by changing the incoming and outgoing servers from mail.btinternet.com to IMAP.mail.yahoo.com I had instant success.

many thanks.

0 Ratings