Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DocCL
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Re: Sending email from Outlook Error 421

Hi BT Community,

I have had a similar problem to this. Yesterday I started to get the following error when trying to send an email to 1 recipient (not a large distribution list). I am doing this from Outlook in Windows 10 - I have had no updates in the last few days and I have made changes to any settings - the problem just started:

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : '  The server responded: 421 Too many messages (1.3.5.1) from 92.104.114.96'

I am still able to receive emails into Outlook and if I go to BT/Yahoo Mail online I am able to send and recieve. Interestingly I also have access to the same BT email via my iPad and I am able to send and recieve emails through that.

I have tried to reset my password for the account, checked the email settings (account type POP3, outgoing server SMTP, port 465 with SSL) and left it overnight to see if it reset, but to no avail. Does anyone have any recommendations? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

@DocCLwrote:

Hi BT Community,

I have had a similar problem to this. Yesterday I started to get the following error when trying to send an email to 1 recipient (not a large distribution list). I am doing this from Outlook in Windows 10 - I have had no updates in the last few days and I have made changes to any settings - the problem just started:

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : '  The server responded: 421 Too many messages (1.3.5.1) from 92.104.114.96'

I am still able to receive emails into Outlook and if I go to BT/Yahoo Mail online I am able to send and recieve. Interestingly I also have access to the same BT email via my iPad and I am able to send and recieve emails through that.

I have tried to reset my password for the account, checked the email settings (account type POP3, outgoing server SMTP, port 465 with SSL) and left it overnight to see if it reset, but to no avail. Does anyone have any recommendations? 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The IP address above is Swiss, which seems unusual for BT to be using ...

0 Ratings
DocCL
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

🙂
I’m actually based in Basel, Switzerland as an Expat, but kept my BT email account. It’s been fine for 3 years!
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@DocCLwrote:
🙂
I’m actually based in Basel, Switzerland as an Expat, but kept my BT email account. It’s been fine for 3 years!

See the T&Cs section 7a (ii)

https://www.bt.com/products/static/terms/feb2017btmail.html

DocCL
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Actually I work in Switzerland, but live in the UK - so my IP address changes.

That said, this morning my problem seems ot have resolved itself. I opened Outlook (2007) and saw an issue: In the bottom right hand corner I could see "Synchronizing hierarchy" with a small hour glass rotating - this carried on for a several minutes. I then closed Outlook and opened again. This problem did not re-occur. I then sent an email to myself and it was sent and then recieved in my email folder.

I can only assume the problem was at the BT/Yahoo Mail end..... and only waiting 24/48hours is the cure!

0 Ratings