cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julian29
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Re: Setting up BT Mail on Windows 10

I am trying to set up my BT email on "Calendar" in Windows 10 on a Microsoft  Surface.

I am using advanced setup. Previously I had set it up on Yahoo Mail but this no longer works.

I have followed the advice provided by BT, using IMAP4 and SMTP, but remain unsuccessful

Email address and user name are easy.

What is the difference between user name, account name and message sending name?  Can I use the same name for all three?

What is the incoming mail server? bt.com/email?

What is the outgoing server? bt.com/email?

Please provide a response and do not refer me to other standard BT documents.  I have read them all several times and despite many attempts these documents have not provide a successful solution.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

@Julian29 wrote:

I am trying to set up my BT email on "Calendar" in Windows 10 on a Microsoft  Surface.

I am using advanced setup. Previously I had set it up on Yahoo Mail but this no longer works.

I have followed the advice provided by BT, using IMAP4 and SMTP, but remain unsuccessful

Email address and user name are easy.

What is the difference between user name, account name and message sending name?  Can I use the same name for all three?

User name is your full email address, account name not sure but full email address won't hurt, sending name is the name that recipients see so can be whatever you wish to be known by.

What is the incoming mail server? bt.com/email?

mail.btinternet.com

port 993

SSL selected

What is the outgoing server? bt.com/email?

mail.btinternet.com

port 465

SSL selected

Authentication required ticked

All as fully documented in BT documents.

Please provide a response and do not refer me to other standard BT documents.  I have read them all several times and despite many attempts these documents have not provide a successful solution.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Julian29
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi

Failed again.

How do I code the incoming server "mail.btinternet.com port 993"? Do I use a space or a slash?

mail.btinternet.com port 993?

mail.btinternet.com/port 993?

mail.btinternet.com\port 993?

Do I use the same for the out going server mail.btinternet.com port 465?

Thanks

Julian

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

You don't 'code' the settings, they are individual entries in the various fields.

If you need to enter the server and port as one entry for some odd reason, the syntax is mail.btinternet.com:993 and mail.btinternet.com:465

0 Ratings