cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goodtime212
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Re: Suspect e-mail from BT?

It say's it is a computer generated email but each email has a different sender name.

I will flag it as spam unless BT show me it is real... I'm even considering switching to

Virgin over it. I'm sick of constant emails about my email being taken from BT Yahoo

into 'somewhere not known' at BT.

I've been with BT for donkey's years but maybe for not much longer

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Most of the emails I get regarding BT email are fakes.  Spammers are taking copies of the genuine emails, changing the links to web sites they have hijacked, then sending them out through hacked email accounts.

The best check is to hover the mouse over any links in the email you have doubts about it (but don't click on them).  Your web browser or email client should tell you where the link goes at the bottom of the screen.  If it doesn't look like a genuine BT web site, delete the email.

BT are in the process of switching email providers.  See here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44789/?s_cid=con_FURL_email_newemail

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 18

Why blame BT it is not them generating the spam.

I get them all the time from every bank imaginable but I dont keep changing my bank account.

I am afraid that spam is just someting you have to live with, it is just how you deal with it that counts.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 18

@goodtime212 wrote:

It say's it is a computer generated email but each email has a different sender name.

I will flag it as spam unless BT show me it is real... I'm even considering switching to

Virgin over it. I'm sick of constant emails about my email being taken from BT Yahoo

into 'somewhere not known' at BT.

I've been with BT for donkey's years but maybe for not much longer

Hi.

The emails are NOT@ from BT, so you can't blame them. These phish and scam emails are targetted due to the @btinternet.com email address structure - people on Sky, Virgin etc who have their own ISP mail structure are similarly targetted - but specific to that ISP.

The bank phish emails are general spam, and I expect most people have received these for all sorts of different banks they don't have anything to do with - however the occassional one will be for the recipient's bank. Of course, none of these are real - so do you blame the banks for these as well ?

These emails are nearly all fake, and attempt to match the real ones that companies send out - yet their links will go to hacked sites. There is currently nothing that can be done to prevent this from happening, and unfortunately people will still continue to fall for these scams and be victims of fraud or ID theft.

Also people are now getting more and more wary of genuine emails, assuming these too can be fake. Hence important information can be missed.

Spammers/scammers are to blame for this - and of course companies don't always when sending out emails that can look like phish emails.

There are ways to see if an email is spam, like hovering over any "click here" links to see where it goes. The "From" email address can be easily faked - so if it's not a proper admin one, that's a guarantee it's fake, but if it's real - it's no guarantee it's genuine either. The more complex ways are to look at the full email headers, these will prove if they are fake or not - however the vast majority of people will not be able to check/read them.

You are of course free to choose who you're with, but blaming a company for spam emails and using that as a reason to move is perhaps not really fair.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 5 of 18

I am under the impression that the new BT email site with CP will be spam protected. If this is not true could somebody tell me. Because of the changes effecting BT yahoo I opened another email account-No spam-no virus emails-no rip-off emails- excellent virus protection[doesnt get to the site] Fast -easy   to use-unlimited storage-Wallpaper changable and a lot more -price?=Zero. Using it 2 weeks  no problems. I just hope all the speculation about CP is true. And I would like to add--they dont track you-which yahoo does wil CP?

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 6 of 18

Well I suppose it had to happen some time on clicking on an email in the trash it opened to 2 soft **bleep** photos. As somebody who has seen ALL aspects of life it wasnt shocking. What did annoy me was that yahoo let it through. The legal  and personal consequencies could have been large if somebody accessed my PC and saw that on it . So I am a mite angry.It shows up the quality of the yahoo service. For those that say-oh we all get them . My new email service stops them  this one doesnt. If CP lets this kind of  stuff through it will be goodbye CP-not kidding! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

@duncan10 wrote:

I am under the impression that the new BT email site with CP will be spam protected. If this is not true could somebody tell me. Because of the changes effecting BT yahoo I opened another email account-No spam-no virus emails-no rip-off emails- excellent virus protection[doesnt get to the site] Fast -easy   to use-unlimited storage-Wallpaper changable and a lot more -price?=Zero. Using it 2 weeks  no problems. I just hope all the speculation about CP is true. And I would like to add--they dont track you-which yahoo does wil CP?

Hi.

BTYahoo! is spam/virus protected, as is CP.

I've got dozens of BTinternet email addresses - and only a small number get spam. Having any email address doesn't mean spam will be received, it depends on many factors, e.g. who you tell, how complex the address is, personal security and even if that email address "stub" appears on another ISP. The email address may have been used before (not all are new as deleted ones can become available).

So frankly I'm not sure what you're implying abouit the spam/virus issue.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 8 of 18

If yahoo is as spam/virus protected as CP then that says it all. I do not want to see naked ladies in compromising positions in my email's do you realise how  serious this is for a male nowadays??? And we are still going to be  bombarded with adverts in CP-If that too is the same as yahoo-latest --28 blocked-then I wont  be using CP much.As I have posted a free service  that has everything I want -fast -no adverts-no spam -HIGH-virus protection[better than Macafee by a long shot] -wallpaper changeable- NO TRACKING-I take it then CP will track. And a host of other benefits yahoo has not. If it wasn't for the fact 1000s of people round the World know me  at=xxxxx@btinternet.com then I wouldn't need to use BT.mail              

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

If you have given your btinternet email address out to 1000's around the world, why are surprised you are getting spam emails. Your address has probably been sold on hundreds of times to spammers.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 10 of 18

That doesnt answer the fact that Yahoo and I presume CP wont stop -----graphic emails being sent to my email address. If another email service can then why not use it as it protects better for that kind of thing. If yahoo and CP are having excuses made for them  instead of giving better protection then they have failed. I do know that email traffic is read. and a lot more besides. The excuse is to BETTER protect you from the internet nasties.[made by companies] and also by you know who. The second one I have to live with but the first should do something about it if they know whats transmitted by email-and they DO know. 

0 Ratings