cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Suspect e-mail from BT?

Why don't you forward all your btinternet emails to your other email service and have their spam protection sort it out.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 12 of 18

I understand what you are telling me GG and it is a solution. But so much publicity is being made of CP that I was  expecting a "gold plated" service- Just read  CPs adverts in the USA- But then thats probably for business only emails.If its not much better  than Yahoo then a lot of BT subscribers will be a good bit unhappy. How our hopes are dashed in life!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

Having given it a bit more thought I don't think forwarding your emails would stop spam as I presume the email service you forward it to would see the address as being the one it was forwarded from ie your btinternet address, and not the original spam sender.

I guess we will just need to wait and see how good CP is when the migration is completed. 

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 14 of 18

@duncan10 wrote:

I do not want to see naked ladies in compromising positions in my email's do you realise how  serious this is for a male nowadays???              

If she's a consenting adult over the age of 18, it's not serious at all. Unless perhaps your wife sees you looking at it. 😉

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 18

@duncan10 wrote:

If yahoo is as spam/virus protected as CP then that says it all. I do not want to see naked ladies in compromising positions in my email's do you realise how  serious this is for a male nowadays??? And we are still going to be  bombarded with adverts in CP-If that too is the same as yahoo-latest --28 blocked-then I wont  be using CP much.As I have posted a free service  that has everything I want -fast -no adverts-no spam -HIGH-virus protection[better than Macafee by a long shot] -wallpaper changeable- NO TRACKING-I take it then CP will track. And a host of other benefits yahoo has not. If it wasn't for the fact 1000s of people round the World know me  at=xxxxx@btinternet.com then I wouldn't need to use BT.mail              

I'm not actually sure what you're trying to indicate here.

As I said, having an email address doesn't mean that it will receive spam/virus laden emails. Yahoo! I believe uses a server version of Norton, McAfee is the product BT users can install to add more protection (e.g. downloads via browsers, memory sticks etc). I don't know what CP uses, but it will be a corporate server product. I personally don't use McAfee.

CP may or may not be as good as Yahoo!, but you've assumed it will be the same - no-one has said that.

It is even possible that a lot of spam isn't even reaching the spam box and blocked due to use of blocklists provided by people such as spamhaus. There are certainly some ISPs (perhaps smaller ones), where this is the case.

As I said, which you've failed to realise, is that setting up a new email address will not automatically get spam - it may never. That doesn't prove anything with the free service you're using.

As has been said, forward all your BTinternet emails to that new email address and see what happens.

When you say 1000s of people know your email address, are you referring to spam being received "from" different user names ? If that's the case, then they are NOT different people. Most spam is sent from only a few bulk spammers around the world using specific botnet services. As these spammers buy/sell email address lists, once you're on these lists - there is nothing you can do.

I hardly ever use webmail, so I don't see the adverts.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 18

@duncan10 wrote:

That doesnt answer the fact that Yahoo and I presume CP wont stop -----graphic emails being sent to my email address. If another email service can then why not use it as it protects better for that kind of thing. If yahoo and CP are having excuses made for them  instead of giving better protection then they have failed. I do know that email traffic is read. and a lot more besides. The excuse is to BETTER protect you from the internet nasties.[made by companies] and also by you know who. The second one I have to live with but the first should do something about it if they know whats transmitted by email-and they DO know. 

How do you know that your other service is blocking such emails ?

You do realise that not all email addresses receive the same spam, and a lot receive none at all.

Indeed Yahoo!s model does seem to be "reading" emails and providing targetted adverts - but in the webmail environment. I personally loath that completely.

As yet, there is no real detail with regard the CP system. Their website is filled with information that they say is "industry leading". How good it is in general with respect to BTinternet is to be seen.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 17 of 18

Well at least thats an honest answer Andy and thats what I was wanting all along.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 18 of 18

@Andy_N wrote:

As yet, there is no real detail with regard the CP system. Their website is filled with information that they say is "industry leading". How good it is in general with respect to BTinternet is to be seen.

It has gone live now for newly created mailboxes: http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-Mail-is-live/td-p/1053386

Oliver.
0 Ratings