Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeremyD
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Re: Unable to set up BT email addresses as accounts in Apple Mail

Go to solution

I hope you guys can help:
'Re-enter Password' for an  @btopenworld.com  account in the Mail app on my iPhone6S, which coincidentally I have just upgraded to iOS 12.0, is failing.

Over the past 12 hours, via 'Passwords & Accounts' (new function??) in Settings, I successfully Re-entered a new password I had set at BT.com for my  @btinternet.com  account.... but I also have a  @btopenworld.com  account  (don't ask...):

After entering what IS a working (albeit changed 12 hours ago), password [it does work via Email at BT.com], via the 'login.yahoo.com' screen >> 'home.bt.com screen', presented to me on my iPhone, after pressing the 'Re-enter Password' "button"... and then clicking 'Sign In' (in the 'home.bt.com' screen), I repeatedly get BT's standard error message screen:

Sorry
We're experiencing a temporary problem with EMail... blah blah...
Sorry of this causes you any inconvenience.

Yet, I CAN access my  @btopenworld.com  account fine via the BT website, and additionally my  @btinternet.com account  via the Mail app on my iPhone.

Any ideas, please? 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Go to solution

Check to see if the "old" password still works. There is sometimes a problem with the servers synchronising when a password is changed.

Make sure you are using the correct server settings as per this link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

You can also try using @btinternet.com instead of @btopenworld.com.  They are interchangeable.

If it doesn't work it might be worth checking this :- 

When you change your BT password on an iPhone it may only change for Incoming mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. 

From there select the BTinternet account and select the account where it is listed.  

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming Mail Server there, but the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com 

If you tap on the outgoing mail server it shows that it is 'on'.  You have to tap on that Primary Server to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it. 

JeremyD
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Go to solution

Thank you very much, gg30340!

I have my "btopenworld" Email working fine on my iPhone now. Thanks!

The key point you made in all of your suggestions above, which seems to have led me to the resolution, was that the "after the @" part of a BT Email address is interchangeable - and when I bothered to look in my Chrome browser, sure enough it describes my Email account there as '@btinternet.com', not '@btopenworld.com'.

What happened then was that, using the  '@btinternet.com' extension instead, I was getting a 'Please check you entered your username and password....' error message., after 'Re-enter password'.

Likewise, if I tried to Re-enter my old password, for either username extension.

In the end, the solution (well it did work...) was to delete the account from my iPhone completely, then create a new account - but NB I used the 'Yahoo' option successfully, after first trying 'Other', which did not work.

So, in conclusion, setting up what I previously had as a ' @btopenworld.com ' account on my iPhone, as a fresh ' @btinternet.com ' account, created via the iPhone Yahoo option, worked! 

Thanks.

PS: I did find an additional helpful article on BT.com:
https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49226

0 Ratings