cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treesagreen
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Re: btinternet email for another user is being directed to our Account (GDPR issue)

I have the same issue. I am receiving email for another lady. Her address is not similar to mine, aside from the same christian name. All other elements of the name are different.

This is quite concerning. I now know her address, date of birth, social security number and so on.

I tried to flag this up to BT in February but have had no response.

This is a serious GDPR issue.

I would appreciate someone fixing this issue and I am fed up with being bombarded with this woman's emails.

She might be wondering why her emails are being deleted.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
PaddyB
Message 2 of 4

Re: btinternet email for another user is being directed to our Account (GDPR issue)

Hi @treesagreen,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I've moved your post onto your own thread as the other one had been marked as solved.

I'm sorry you've been receiving emails that weren't meant for you.  I'll be able to get this investigated.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact me. You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

If you are receiving emails for another person do you have the email address that they should be going to? 

If you do, don't post it here but have you tried contacting the person and advising her. It may be nothing to do with BT, it could be that she has or her contacts have noted her email address incorrectly or that she has set up forwarding incorrectly on her email account.

EDIT: Post crossed with moderator. Just contact the moderator and they should be able to help.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@treesagreenwrote:

I have the same issue. I am receiving email for another lady. Her address is not similar to mine, aside from the same christian name. All other elements of the name are different.

This is quite concerning. I now know her address, date of birth, social security number and so on.

I tried to flag this up to BT in February but have had no response.

This is a serious GDPR issue.

I would appreciate someone fixing this issue and I am fed up with being bombarded with this woman's emails.

She might be wondering why her emails are being deleted.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Doesn't sound like a GDPR issue to me, simply that either the person sending the emails has got the wrong address, or if it's lots of people, then the likelihood as gg30340 said is that the actual recipient has set forwarding to a wrong address. It's even possible the person is telling people the wrong address.

However for forwarding to work, the email address being forwarded to needs to verify that they actually require the emails. If you've not seen this (albeit some months ago) and didn't respond - then I can't see how forwarding can be added - (apart from security issue with both accounts being accessed in order to do the forwarding).

How do you mean that her emails are being deleted? If you're getting them, then she almost certainly isn't

0 Ratings