Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rogerl1
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Re: email address about to be suspended

Same thing here wife’s email (which she uses regularly) suspended with no warning & no reason given. This was the sequence of events on Friday:

• I started a Web Chat. This lasted 30 minutes & was useless.
  • After a couple of hours I started another Web Chat. After 45 minutes:
  • I received a phone call from a lady in India (I managed to understand half of what she was saying). She promised a call from "their tech team" within 24 hours. I said that such a timescale was unacceptable so she put the phone down on me.
  • Meanwhile, the Web Chat was still active & (presumably as a result of the phone call from India) the guy there promised a call from "their tech team" between 4.00pm & 6.00pm Friday. This Web Chat took 1.25 hours and got us precisely nowhere.
  • 600pm Friday came & went with no phone call.
  • Saturday morning I phoned to register a formal complaint & was put through to India (of course) & was then transferred to the guy’s supervisor. This conversation lasted 45 minutes. The supervisor tried to be helpful – he even sent me a PIN to enable him to reset my wife’s email. Nothing worked. He ended by saying that he would refer the matter to "their tech team" and that I would receive a phone call from them between 4.00pm & 6.00pm Sunday(he said no earlier slot was available). When I asked why I should believe him more than the written promise the previous day he said “because I am promising you”. He confirmed that a complaint has been registered.
  • 6.00pm Sunday came & went with no phone call.

Al I want is for BT to un-suspend her email account!  Waiting for two non-appearing phone calls means that’s four hours of my life I’ll never get back (never mind the phone call from India + two WebChats lasting 1.75 hours).  A promise should be a promise but to BT it obviously isn’t.  As BT’s complaints system doesn’t work, I’ll now complain to OffCom.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
rogerl1
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your eesponse. To continue the saga:

I called BT Sunday evening, this time telling the voice recognition software “how do I complain about BT to OffCom.  This put me through to a helpful lady in Newcastle (sigh of relief – not India!). I explained the problem and she asked if she could put me on hold while she finds a manager.  This took 20 minutes – she explained that she had been sitting with her manager & trying to resolve the problem. They had tried to reach the agent who was supposed to call me on Sunday & couldn’t get hold of him. They then tried to contact his manager & couldn’t contact him either. Her manager couldn’t take ownership of the problem because it had already been referred to another manager in India. (Be patient, it gets worse!)

She would contact the supervisor in India to whom I spoke on Saturday & arrange for him to call me between 6.00pm & 8.00pm this evening (this was at 7.05pm!!!!!).   I pointed out that the Indian supervisor, with whom I spoke for 45 minutes on Saturday, had not been able to sort the problem. She said that she was quite aware of this. What she would arrange is for the supervisor to call me to give me another two-hour slot when the tech team would phone me.  I said that what she was telling me was beyond parody.  I would apparently wait for his call so that he could give me another time when someone else would call me (even though two such promises had already been broken).  You couldn’t make it up.  She went away to see if she could find another solution.

30 minutes late I had a call from the tech team in India who took me through the simple steps to reinstate the account which are: log into BT Mail USING THE SUSPENDED ACCOUNT DETAILS (not the master account details). Having got there, simply click on the Reinstate Account button. I did that &, hey presto, the account is reinstated.

He explained that BT are suspending 2,000 accounts daily “as a security measure” because so many email accounts are hacked. The account was suspended because of “inactivity” – apparently accessing the account through Outlook doesn’t count as “activity”. The tech team don’t tell anyone else within BT about this dead simple Reinstate Account “as a security measure” as the Tech Team is a secure department ….!  OMG, eight hours of my life totally wasted completely unnecessarily.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

You are lucky Rogerl1 to actually be able to access the reinstate account option - I just get a 'technical error' when I try to do that on the affected subsidary BT ID email management link.

0 Ratings