cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Re: email addresses disappeared

There is another problem that has caught me out and may affect others.

If, like me, you had used "Disposable Addresses" with BT Yahoo Mail, then you have to act quickly NOW to avoid your contacts losing their connection to you.

BT Yahoo Mail allows you to have up to 500 disposable addresses attached to each real email account. This had a great advantage as different addresses could be assigned to different companies. When one of these email addresses starts receiving significant amount of junk or spam, I simply allocated a new address and deleted the old one and updated the contact address on the associated company's website. When I accessed the real account any emails that had arrived for the associated disposable addresses were all there in the one account. No need to access multiple email accounts. This worked perfectly with email clients as well as webmail.

At one point, my eBay disposable address started getting a lot of garbage. Changing that one disposable address and updating the details on eBay solved that issue. It was much easier than having to replace a real email address and then log into multiple companies' sites to update the details.

Anyway, now we seem to be receiving emails saying that our accounts have been moved and disposable addresses no longer work. Wouldn't it have been brilliant if BT had actually given warning that this was about to happen. As it is, any emails sent out by companies to a disposable BT Yahoo address after the move will be lost until the relevant company's contact details are updated. It makes a mockery of the link at the end of the "https://www.bt.com/help/email/we-ve-updated-your-email" page that says "BT Including You - helping you communicate".

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

BT have sent out several emails warning of the closure of disposable email addresses

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

BT have notified users on numerous occasions that their BTYahoo disposable email addresses were being closed down.

This is just one forum thread regarding it and it is dated 16th August 2013.

They also posted this on their web site 

https://www.bt.com/help/email/disposable-email-addresses-in-bt-yahoo-mail

When they stopped the disposable email addresses on the BTMail system they sent out an email about 10 months before they made any changes telling the email account holder that the disposable email was going to stop in the future then about six months later they sent out another email giving the date when it was going to happen then one month after that the disposable email addresses function stopped. The email could still be read for a month or so after that then the account was deleted.

Copy of the email.

Hello,
We got in touch in August 2018 about closing our disposable email address service. It's part of our work to upgrade and improve the overall email service we offer you.
Since then you might have still been getting emails to your disposable accounts, but they'll stop from 31 May 2019.
Which addresses are affected?
xxxxxxx
To view all your DEAs, follow the instructions here at bt.com/dea-closure
What happens next?
If you're using these email addresses, you'll need to update your contact details with an alternative email address before 31 May to make sure you keep receiving your communications.
For more information on this change, have a look at bt.com/dea-closure
Best wishes, 
The BT team
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

This is not a disposable email account. Tbh I'm even sure that I've ever used a disposable email. It's my main email address, it isn't overused etc. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

str8chat threw the disposable email message into your thread when it has absolutely nothing to do with your problem. His message is just a side issue to be aware of if you were on the BTYahoo email system and used disposable email addresses. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I originally heard that BT Yahoo Mail was moving to BT Mail something like 7 years ago, when I got an email about a week before going into hospital for a major cancer operation. That email stated the move was happening in the next few weeks. I struggled to update all my companies and friends with a replacement full email address. After several weeks in hospital when I got back to looking at emails, I continued to use my email client and it was probably around three months after that email from BT that I logged in to webmail and found that the promised move had not occurred.

Web searches about the subject suggested that some people had been moved, but technical problems had meant the move of the rest had stopped. In the last five years, I do not believe I have had any further emails from BT about the move until I got one a few days ago that told me the particular account had been moved.

As an experiment this morning I set up a new base on a remaining BT Yahoo account and created a disposable address. No restrictions or warnings were given.

It is possible that I did not get any warnings as I had cleared the disposable addresses around 7 years ago just before going into hospital.

I did contact BT just before my operation, and they told me that although the Yahoo disposable addresses would be going, they said that there would be a similar facility in the new BT Mail service. On the two accounts out of around six that I have that have now moved, I have not yet found such a facility.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

I have moved you onto your own thread because your post has nothing to do with the thread you posted on.

BTMail, when it was first introduced in 2014 did have the disposable email facility. This was withdrawn in 2018 and is no longer available. You do however get 11 email addresses to use.

If you require more than that you could sign up with Yahoo email which I believe still offers disposable email address.

As regards setting up another BTYahoo disposable email address, that will be lost when you are migrated to the new BTMail system which has restarted.  

See link

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/We-re-updating-BT-Email/td-p/2005956

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for splitting this off as a separate thread.

As I said right at the start of my first submission on the topic "There is another problem that has caught me out and may affect others.".

The actual question as originally posted was very vague. Just from the title that showed on my initial search, there are various different interpretations that occur in different circumstances:

1. It could mean that one or more complete email accounts are no longer accessible.
  2. It could be that email contact address have disappeared, but this will vary depending on the way the email service is used, and apparently on the type of device in use. Email clients, full webmail and email services through cell phones may also show different symptoms.
  3. The other problem that I highlighted in my first post on the original thread.

I have not received any emails in the last five years from BT that indicated that the move from BT Yahoo Mail to BT Mail was being resurrected. The original email I got probably in late 2012 or early 2013 suggested that the move would happen within the next three months of the date of that email. Even the webpage giving extra information about the move that was linked from that email disappeared. That coupled with some reports on the Internet suggested that BT had given up on the move. The next I heard about it was when one of my email accounts had moved and that was the first information since those original notifications around 7 years ago that disposable addresses would go, although when I called BT they told me that BT Mail offered a similar service, which I haven't yet found.

With reference to the three address losses listed above, it is only disposable addresses that caused me any issues. As I use an email client on a PC, my contacts lists have not been affected. Also, so far, non of my accounts has become inaccessible.

As I indicated in my original post that there was another potential problem arising from the move it is disappointing that others did not respect this as additional information. If they had registered disposable addresses with various websites and their BT Yahoo account has been moved, those websites will no longer have a valid email address until the address is updated. Those people may not even realise that this has happened.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

If you read the thread it stated it was his email contacts that were missing not any disposable email accounts or anything to do with disposable email accounts and as such your post had no relevance to that thread. Hence why it was moved onto its own thread.

Regarding the BTMail disposable addresses. I have given you an answer to that in my last post.

The general issue regarding disposable email addresses has been previously covered in a few threads on the forum.

As regards the loss of the BTYahoo disposable email addresses, you have said that you were informed about them stopping, albeit it was in 2012/2013. I would have thought it prudent at that time to have taken heed of that warning and make alternative arrangements. If the migration had continued as planned, and had you not done that you would have lost them in 2014.

Perhaps BT are of the opinion that users of the disposable email accounts would also have taken heed of that warning in particular because there has never been any formal message that I am aware of that BT have said that the migration had stopped and the disposable email addresses will not be deleted.

In any event, they are going to be deleted when users email accounts are migrated to the "new" BTMail system so if you are still using  BTYahoo disposable email addresses I would suggest that you treat it as a matter of urgency and make other arrangements regarding their use.