cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilP1
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Re: mail.yahoo.com web login redirected to a BT.com page with a dead end

Daniel S are you able to get Yahoo to fix my email address too please as exactly the same thing is happening to me? I still have access to my Yahoo email address on my android phone but every attempt to log in to my Yahoo mail account on my laptop, where the email no longer works, is hijacked by BT at the password stage. If I try to log in using the BT page I get the message below and have done for the last 3 days.

I haven't included my email address here as this is I think the first time I've used this site and I understand the address would then become public.

Sorry

We're experiencing a temporary problem with Email and are working to fix it as soon as possible. Please try again later.

Sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

Go back to BT.com >

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

I have moved your post to start a new thread as the previous thread was over a year old and marked as solved.

Just to be 100% clear, can you confirm it is a xxxx@yahoo.com(co.uk) rather than a xxxxx@btinternet.com email address you are talking about.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Not sure if this is resolved but I tried logging into my all yahoo account (Not BT) I set up when BT was threatening to transfer me over to BTMail from BTYahoo and it works ok. I did it in incognito though as I had my BT Email up at the time. I'm guessing that if it is a yahoo account and its connected to the Yahoo account - bit like a google+ account - then it may well be assigned to the BT links by default perhaps - just a thought. 

To be fair its so long ago I set up the joined up emails from yahoo that I can't remember or even be bothered to remember what I did so I could unpick it if I wanted to. What I will say though is that forced logging out of BTYahoo mail does not close down the yahoo+ connections but its probably only as connected using cookies.

0 Ratings
edwardblack
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

After many months of being able to do so without any issues arising, any attempt to log into my BTInternet email account on my iPhone using the Yahoo app or to set up my BTInternet Yahoo Email account as a Yahoo account in the Apple iPhone native mail app is greeted by the same error as quoted above

Sorry

We're experiencing a temporary problem with Email and are working to fix it as soon as possible. Please try again later.

Sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

Go back to BT.com >

Back to log in

I have been able to speak to second and third line technical help people at BTInternet mail and have been told at both levels that this is not a temporary problem. It is a permanent problem.

The iPhone Yahoo app is now unusable.

And to set up access using the native mail app you need to set up the account as OTHER not YAHOO

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

@edwardblack wrote:

And to set up access using the native mail app you need to set up the account as OTHER not YAHOO

That has always been the recommendation.

0 Ratings
edwardblack
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

I was not aware of it always being the recommendation. First it means that you don't get full functionality - e.g. no access to Yahoo contacts.

And second access through the Yahoo app sometimes worked better

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Not being able to use the Yahoo email app is not a "problem" as such, it is just that it is not how to access your BT email account.

When BT started the short lived migration from Yahoo to BTMail back in 2014, users were informed then that the Yahoo app would stop working and that email client/app  users should use the BT server settings as per this link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

Obviously by using the BT server settings this would stop the Yahoo app from working.

When the migration was stopped after only a short period it left many customers still on the BTYahoo email system and as a result they could still use the Yahoo server setting and ultimately the Yahoo app.

I believe there have been some recent changes with the BT email system that means that access to BTYahoo is now through the BT servers and not the Yahoo ones which means that the Yahoo app now no longer works.

It has always been recommended that if setting up an email client or app that you set it up manually using the "other" account set up rather than using the device's wizard and to use the BT server settings as shown in the above link.

It is now also recommended that users do not try and access their webmail via the Yahoo portal and instead use the correct method via the BT email portal.

0 Ratings
edwardblack
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for the clarification.

What is annoying is that the error says "We're experiencing a temporary problem with Email" and of course it is a permanent problem not a temporary one.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Generic  error codes or statements can be misleading and /or inaccurate.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

@gg30340wrote:

<snipped>

It has always been recommended that if setting up an email client or app that you set it up manually using the "other" account set up rather than using the device's wizard and to use the BT server settings as shown in the above link.

It is now also recommended that users do not try and access their webmail via the Yahoo portal and instead use the correct method via the BT email portal.

@gg30340,

I'm not necessarily averse to using a client, my phones and our tab use them but today whilst out of the uk we are having some issues with the clients - webmail is working ok for us as opposed to many othes on here - one thing i noticed last week was that using some websites on out current access we were getting mucho ssl issues on our browsers a little bit of investigation point to TLS issues - santnder was a particular one. I made some browser temp changes to allow me to do what i wanted and then reversed them back for obvious sec reasons. ( i wouldn't normally do this unless I knew there were no other unknown wifi instances nearby.)

Just today though we are not able to get any emails due to ssl/tls issues - I think - with the services we have at our villa in the wilds of europe. So as i have said in the past email clients are not necessarily the beall and end all in many scenarios. 

I would say that 5 months ago in the wilds of california, there are many in that state, we had no ssl issues either with websites or with our clients on our portable devices. 

Being of outlaw tendencies I still use yahoo as the gateway into btyahoo mail but if BT could save my email address then i'd probbly be less naughty - assuming I am being naughty anyway. One thing I notice with BT services is tht they are nowhere near as slick as yahoo news services and that's saying something as neither are my chief starting point.

0 Ratings