Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Re: trouble setting up my BTinternet.com email with outlook 2016

Hi,

I have a similar problem.

I have successfully been using Outlook as an email client for a number of years - currently O2016.

This was working OK until 03/01/18 when it stopped sending/receiving emails.

I can still send/receive emails via the Outlook app on my Android phone and can access and manage emails directly via BTMail.

I have confirmed that my account details (email address / password) are recognised by the IMAP server as I have undertaken (twice) a successful test, send test email - though of course I could only confirm this via BTMail!

I want to retain my existing email address and mail history (folders etc.) in Outlook so has anyone any suggestions as to what my next step(s) should be?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

@Aremel55 wrote:

Hi,

I have a similar problem.

I have successfully been using Outlook as an email client for a number of years - currently O2016.

This was working OK until 03/01/18 when it stopped sending/receiving emails.

I can still send/receive emails via the Outlook app on my Android phone and can access and manage emails directly via BTMail.

I have confirmed that my account details (email address / password) are recognised by the IMAP server as I have undertaken (twice) a successful test, send test email - though of course I could only confirm this via BTMail!

I want to retain my existing email address and mail history (folders etc.) in Outlook so has anyone any suggestions as to what my next step(s) should be?

Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to the forums.

What servers have you got set in O2016? Are you a standard BTinternet broadband user?

Have you changed any passwords recently?

Are you with BTYahoo or BTMail? (when logged into webmail via a browers, BTYahoo will show a Yahoo image).

If you're on BTYahoo, logout from your current webmail session if you're still logged in, then login via :-

https://mail.yahoo.com

that has been shown to kick apps/clients into life.

However, as you can use your phone - that seems to negate that issue. How is your phone connecting, is it wifi via your BTinternet connection or 3/4G ?

What do you mean when you say your name/password are recognised by the IMAP server? BTinternet mail server is a generic server recognising both IMAP/POP3 via mail.btinternet.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Andy_N,

Thanks for the response.

I'll try to answer your questions in order!

1) Servers - IMAP

2) I am a standard BT Internet user (private individual)

3) I have changed password but I have changed this on my Outlook account set-up

4) I am with BT Yahoo (that's how long I've had the account!). Will try your suggestion after sending this email and will update my reply later.

5) I can connect via wi-fi and 4G

6) Re name/password - I have opened up my account details in Outlook and followed their test instructions and the return message said my account was recognised.

Regards,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

1) Servers - IMAP

Can you say what the actual server address is, it should be mail.btinternet.com

After changing password, and if you checked emails via Outlook immediately after and Android phone continually checks, then this can cause issues with app/client access. I always suggest waiting as minimum of 15 minutes following a password check before trying access via app/client. That can mean preventlng mobile apps from checking if they are set to check every few minutes.

4) I am with BT Yahoo (that's how long I've had the account!). Will try your suggestion after sending this email and will update my reply later.

Webmail access will show a Yahoo image at the top if you're with BTYahoo. It's actually nothing to do with how long you've had the account, many were transferred to BTMail during 2014 before the process was stopped in Sep 2014.

By "connect", do you mean you can send and receive emails via both those accesses via your Android phone?

6) Re name/password - I have opened up my account details in Outlook and followed their test instructions and the return message said my account was recognised.

As you had no issues up until recently, there are a few reasons this could occur, including a temporary account access failure by app/client - though access via webmail usually works - this can last anything from a few minutes to a few days, but not really more than 3 or 4 I would say. It could be that password change as I mentioned, and trying another password change can work (allowing for 15 minutes before checking ...).

Anti-virus or other security package updates can interfere sometimes, actually blocking a client from working. They need to be checked in case that's happened.

Client account corruption, in your case Outlook, or a general Outlook PST file corruption. For a single account, delete and re-add might help - fine for IMAP access as all the data is held on the server. A PST file issue needs a repair of the file, but I think it would show up differently with different error reports.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Andy_N,

Thanks for the response.

1) Servers - IMAP

Can you say what the actual server address is, it should be mail.btinternet.com

Apologies, the server is mail.btinternet.com

After changing password, and if you checked emails via Outlook immediately after and Android phone continually checks, then this can cause issues with app/client access. I always suggest waiting as minimum of 15 minutes following a password check before trying access via app/client. That can mean preventlng mobile apps from checking if they are set to check every few minutes.

Will bear this in mind for the future. Mobile app continues to work OK but O2016 on the PC hasn't since 03/01/18

Webmail access will show a Yahoo image at the top if you're with BTYahoo. It's actually nothing to do with how long you've had the account, many were transferred to BTMail during 2014 before the process was stopped in Sep 2014.

Webmail shows the BTYahoo logo

By "connect", do you mean you can send and receive emails via both those accesses via your Android phone?

Yes

As you had no issues up until recently, there are a few reasons this could occur, including a temporary account access failure by app/client - though access via webmail usually works - this can last anything from a few minutes to a few days, but not really more than 3 or 4 I would say. It could be that password change as I mentioned, and trying another password change can work (allowing for 15 minutes before checking ...).

Anti-virus or other security package updates can interfere sometimes, actually blocking a client from working. They need to be checked in case that's happened.

Client account corruption, in your case Outlook, or a general Outlook PST file corruption. For a single account, delete and re-add might help - fine for IMAP access as all the data is held on the server. A PST file issue needs a repair of the file, but I think it would show up differently with different error reports.

As I have IMAP access I think your suggestion to delete and reinstate makes sense. I'll get onto it tomorrow.

Thanks again for your assistance, I'll let you know if I'm successful or if I'll be pulling my hair out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Morning Andy_N,

Well I began the process to delete my account as suggested and was informed -

"Before deleting the email account containing your personal mail, contacts and calendar data, you must create a new location for your data. To create a new data location, open the Accounmt Settings dialog box, click the Data Files tab, and then click Add"

When I did as instructed I received the following message -

"An unknown eror occurred, error code: 0x80004001" - but no instruction as to what to do next.

I suspect/hope you may have an answer!

Thanks in advance - not pulling my hair out yet!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@Aremel55 wrote:

Morning Andy_N,

Well I began the process to delete my account as suggested and was informed -

"Before deleting the email account containing your personal mail, contacts and calendar data, you must create a new location for your data. To create a new data location, open the Accounmt Settings dialog box, click the Data Files tab, and then click Add"

When I did as instructed I received the following message -

"An unknown eror occurred, error code: 0x80004001" - but no instruction as to what to do next.

I suspect/hope you may have an answer!

Thanks in advance - not pulling my hair out yet!

Hi.

I've not got O2016 (365), but the error you've got seems to be relevant to :-

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/08d236ba-b862-44f2-83c1-5a66c0b8f018/error...

As long as you've got a backup somewhere.

0 Ratings