Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kchops
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Re: what have you done to my email?

Hello eveyone

Several years ago BT seperated from Yahoo because of security issues, now I see they are joined back up complete with a load of others called Oath.

I use a desktop pc and I use Outlook as an email client to download my emails today I have a download error I can view my emails on my phone so I went to open BT email to check the settings to be confronted by  page from BT Yahoo wanting permission to store cookies on my pc and provide me with personalised advertising, when I open the manage options there is not an option to opt out I do not want my information being shared and I do not want any targeted advertising it there a way around this as on other sites Google, Ebay, etc you can opt out. After BTs last colaboration with Yahoo I thought they would have learnt thier lesson and keep thier email secure.

I have been with BT for many years and this gets to me where if there is not a solution I will be changing my ISP.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

@kchops wrote:

Hello eveyone

Several years ago BT seperated from Yahoo because of security issues, now I see they are joined back up complete with a load of others called Oath.

BT never fully left Yahoo, some customers were migrated to a new supplier under the brand BTMail rather than BTYahoo mail but that migration was stopped some 4 years ago so customers are on a mixture of both systems.

I use a desktop pc and I use Outlook as an email client to download my emails today I have a download error I can view my emails on my phone so I went to open BT email to check the settings to be confronted by  page from BT Yahoo wanting permission to store cookies on my pc and provide me with personalised advertising, when I open the manage options there is not an option to opt out I do not want my information being shared and I do not want any targeted advertising it there a way around this as on other sites Google, Ebay, etc you can opt out. After BTs last colaboration with Yahoo I thought they would have learnt thier lesson and keep thier email secure.

It is obviously a long time since you accessed webmail as this has been the case for many months if not years and was discussed to death on this forum ( a search may findf the threads). It is possible to opt out of targeting advertising, but if you only use Outlook normally it isn't a problem for you in any case.

I have been with BT for many years and this gets to me where if there is not a solution I will be changing my ISP.

Obviously your choice but (a) there is no need to change ISP in order to change email provider and (b) I suspect other ISPs will do the same thing. Sky still use Yahoo as their mail provider.

kchops
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Can you still have the choice of BT email or BT Yahoo going from memory I was a BT email and I changed my pc backed up my emails and I think it was then that I must have popped across the fence to BT Yahoo
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

No. There was never a choice. If you were on BTYahoo you may have been migrated to BTMail but not every one was. The migration stopped many years ago. 

This means that at present BT have two email systems running. 

If you are on BTYahoo you can not be moved onto BTMail.

If you were migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail you can not be moved back.

If you are a new customer to BT you are put on the BTMail system.

0 Ratings
kchops
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Many thanks for the information, I seem to remember having an email from BT reference a security breach with BT Yahoo and I followed the link and changed my password as directed by the email, and at to top of the page it only had the BT logo not BT Yahoo but I am not sure where things changed.
I am not happy with the BT yahoo page asking me to give permssion to use my information with all the sister companies for advertising otherwise I cannot login I do not usually log in I let Outlook down load the emails for me. As far as I am concerned I have rights under the GDPR regs. When I last renewed with BT I was treated as a new customer I had a new router etc the next time I renew can I stipulate that I want to be on BT mail?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

I presume that your BTYahoo email account is a legacy email address left over from your previous BT Broadband package.

When you moved back to BT did you log onto your MyBT and check your "manage extras"  and set up a new email address from there. If you did you would no doubt see it is a BTMail account.

You should find that your new account is on the BTMail system however you can not transfer any BTYahoo email accounts onto that system.

What you can do, and I suggest that you do, is to have your BTYahoo email accounts associated with your new BT broadband account.

If you do not do that there is a possibility that the email accounts could be deleted by BT because it is not associated with a current broadband package. 

If you do a search of the forum for Oath" you will find other threads about it and what if any the implications of GDPR on it have.

See link about linking email addresses to your BT Brodband package.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44864/~/can-i-link-my-existing-bt-mail-address-to-an...

0 Ratings
kchops
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Many thanks, will do
0 Ratings
kchops
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

jabys

Thanks very much for the information earlier, I have been on the ICO site and in order to make a complaint it says to contact BT first which I have just done by email, I have taken screen prints of the BT Yahoo blackmail pages and saved I will give BT a few days if not the whole thing will be sent to ICO as a breach of the GDPR regulations.

Will let you know how I fair.

Regards,

kchops

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

I have moved your messages from the other thread that is titled " what have you done to my email" which you originaly posted on. That thread has nothing to do with your issue or Oath and by posting on it it was causing confusion about what with some of the answers.

0 Ratings