cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KathrynD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Rejection of Emails

I am a member of a committee which uses Google Groups.  We have an issue of non-delivery of emails to @BTInternet.com addresses which fit the following criteria.

• sent from a Gmail address
  • sent to a GoogleGroups address of 20 of which four have @BTInternet addresses
  • initiated emails only (i.e. replies to the same GoogleGroups address work fine)
  • sent from Outlook email client
  • using BT Broadband
  • sent from a device running iOS 14.6 (sent from an iMAC with latest version of OSX is fine)
  • non-delivery to any @BTInternet address - no error messages of any kind

if you send from the Gmail iOS client everything works as expected  

very frustrating because there is no error message other than four of the group of 20 do not receive the email.  Any ideas if this is a Microsoft issue or BT email Servers quietly rejecting the email because they don’t like something  in the header?

17 REPLIES 17
stevebrass
Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Rejection of Emails

Have the non recipients checked their spam folders?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
KathrynD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Thank you. Yes all of them have, one who is very IT literate; there is no sign whatsoever of the emails that have been sent. 

stevebrass
Expert
Message 4 of 18

Considering the mails get sent when using each and every combination of hardware and software except for Outlook on IOS I suspect Outlook is the problem. Has there been a recent update to Outlook on IOS?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Valerie45
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Well I'm having the same problem and I do not use Outlook so this doesn't work.
0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 6 of 18

I have also not received Gmail messages from people with whom I communicate regularly.

KathrynD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Microsoft update Outlook regularly. It is interesting that when I reply to the group everything works as expected but when I initiate an email it doesn’t get through to @BTIternet.com addressees in the GoogleGroup.  It gets to everyone else who do not have an @BTInternet.com address.  This leads me to believe that Outlook adds something to the header of the email which the BT email servers just don’t like.

Mail does not end up in spam or deleted mails folders and I do not receive any rejection messages.

stevebrass
Expert
Message 8 of 18

@KathrynDwrote:

Microsoft update Outlook regularly. It is interesting that when I reply to the group everything works as expected but when I initiate an email it doesn’t get through to @BTIternet.com addressees in the GoogleGroup.  It gets to everyone else who do not have an @BTInternet.com address.  This leads me to believe that Outlook adds something to the header of the email which the BT email servers just don’t like.

Mail does not end up in spam or deleted mails folders and I do not receive any rejection messages.

Try an experiment. Send an email to a non btinternet address and another to a btininternet address. Inspect them in your sent folder - there will be an option to "view header" or "view raw" somewhere on outlook. Compare the two.

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 9 of 18

@Valerie45wrote:
Well I'm having the same problem and I do not use Outlook so this doesn't work.

You need to be  a bit more specific. Is your problem exactly as laid out in post 1?

0 Ratings
KathrynD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Thanks Steve - already been down that route - it only happens when using GoogleGroups and Outlook - individual emails work just fine as does an email sent from Gmail’s iOS app so that does rather point at Outlook - not confident Microsoft would deem it something to look at.  So using Gmail’s iOS app is my work around which is easy enough to do.  The real issue I had was not knowing that the email wasn’t being received by some people on the group and then understanding (as I help manage the group) that it was only the @BTInternet email addresses that were not receiving it.

I am pretty sure that Outlook adds something to the header (which I will look at) that the BT email servers are programmed to reject. 

There’s no issue whatsoever using Outlook on my iMac (Big Sur 11.4) so that really does point the finger at Outlook for iOS. Do you agree?