cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alchad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Rejoining Premium Mail

We live in the sticks and can't get BT broadband. Up to a year ago we were paying for the Premium Mail service but then to save the £7.50 a month we added our email accounts to our daughters BT broadband account. She is now moving house and has canceled her BT broadband and will not be renewing it at her new property. I received a copy of an email from BT acknowledging the cancellation and the email stated that she would lose het email accounts after 60 days.

I phoned BT on Friday to try and get Premium Mail re-instated but was told because the emails were now assigned to our daughter and she had to get them released. So yesterday I called in to see her, she phoned BT who guided her through the process of releasing them and BT told me that "all" I had to do was to log in to My BT and import them. Unfortunately I don't seem to have this option, so I phoned BT (all three calls to BT were very helpful by the way - plaudits), but unfortunately it appears that the "import email" is only an option if you have a BT broadband contract!!  

As I said the gentleman I spoke to was very helpful and more or less suggested I didn't need to worry and I wouldn't lose the email addresses provided we kept using the accounts. However after having the addresses for 20+ years we're both very worried that we could suddenly end up losing them "the computer says no!"

Is there any way around this apparent Catch 22 situation?

Thank you

Alan C

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Rejoining Premium Mail

If you are not a BT customer, you can not import the email accounts because you do not have BT account. As you said, Catch 22.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/can-i-move-my-bt-email-address-to-another-account...

Your daughter is now the BT Premium Email customer and custodian of your email accounts because they belonged to her BT Broadband account after you transferred them to her.

There are a couple of things you may be able to do other than becoming a BT Broadband customer.

1) You could "use/inherit" your daughters BTID/MyBT which effectively means it becomes your account, albeit you can not change it into your name/address but you may be able to change the billing Direct Debt to your bank account so that you are paying the bill or if you can not change it, set up a standing order to pay your daughter the fee.

2) Your daughter could cancel the BT Premium email account. This will cause your email accounts to be downgraded to the BT Basic email. The BT Basic email only allows access to the email account by using a web browser and not by using an email client or email app such as is used on a mobile device.

This might be sufficient for your needs.

See link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

alchad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi, thanks for the reply but I don't really like either option, just want to revert to the previous position - I had a Premium Mail account which was separate to my phone account. Why can't it just be reactivated??

Alchad
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Try speaking directly to the Premium mail team on 0808 100 6778

0 Ratings
alchad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thanks again, but as I said I did speak to them but they just said more or less "don't worry"...but didn't really seem to be able to reconnect my account.

I am worried!

Alchad

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 6 of 12

Hi @alchad sorry that you are experiencing problems with getting the Premium Mail account set up. Could I ask you to try calling the Premium Mail team again and tell them you want to set up a new Premium Mail account as they are able to set this up for you. 
Post back and let me know how you get on.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
alchad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Thanks John,

I've tried phoning the supposed direct line given above but seem to get routed via the options back into the normal BT phone queue - am currently on hold but wondered if that phone number is no longer valid as the first message is "listen carefully as the options have changed"??

Alchad

0 Ratings
alchad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

I was right, finally got through but the lady said she wasn't the Premium Mail section, asked to be transferred, after 15 mins call picked up but not by premium mail , explained situation, lady said she needed to go and check, came back suggesting daughter should basically set up premium mail account and we could pay her. Explained we 'd rather not do that, she went away again for advice and came back and basically said if our daughter didn't take up premium mail the only option was to downgrade hers and ours emails to one of the non premium email accounts with loss of some functionality. The other alternative seemed to be another account with a different email.

It was a very difficult conversation as she was obviously not fully familiar with the options and I think she was only going to speak to a supervisor not a Premium Mail team person.

Help!!
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 9 of 12

Hi @alchad thanks for trying again I appreciate that and sorry they didn't sort this for you. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you with this.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
alchad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Many thanks for response, will do.

Regards

Alan C
0 Ratings