Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Johnoo
Expert
Message 1 of 55

Replacement for Classic Mail E Mail

Just got a e mail from the boss to say that Classic Mail is closing on 3rd June.

Clicked on the link to upgrade, & it says I will have to agree to new T&C's.

But when I did this I was diverted direct into the new mail.

Also when I logged out of this I selected my icon for e mail & went directly back into Classic Mail.

Have BT messed up?

I only ask because I don't want to have a major problem on 3rd June & have no e mail!

Perhaps the Mods. Could look at & advise all

0 Ratings
54 REPLIES 54
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 55

Re: Replacement for Classic Mail E Mail

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 55

I think that this email, which I received today, is very slightly "intimidating", if that's the correct word.

I don't access btinternet.com mail through BT Yahoo webmail, but through Outlook.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 55

Yes but BTYahoo don't know that so they have to advise all customers of the change.

Noticed this on the link I posted earlier:

I only use BT Yahoo! Mail on a mobile device, tablet or via POP. What should I do?

We suggest you go to http://bt.overview.mail.yahoo.com/ on your computer to find out more about the upgrade and the great new features on offer, then review and agree to the new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. If you only access your BT Yahoo! Mail on a mobile device, tablet or via POP then once you've upgraded you'll still be able to continue accessing your email as you do today.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 55

That 'help' just makes things worse.

If you just use POP, then there is nothing to upgrade. That wording makes it sound like you must upgrade something to continue using your BT email address.

Also AFAICS you don't have to actively agree to the new Ts & Cs if you are not installing the new app. You can read them via the link at the bottom of that page, but you don't have to press a button saying 'I agree'.

This is all very badly handled, and particularly confusing for people who don't use the BT Yahoo App. It is just assuming that all BT customers have installed the stupid App on their main PC even if they use POP for 'additional devices'!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 55

It seems pretty clear to me. You have to log into BTYahoo webmail, upgrade to the new email and accept the T&C then you need never use the webmail again if you don't want to. You then continue using POP or tablets phone etc.

I don't know what app Colin London is refering to for PCs. You get into BTYahoo web mail via browser on your PC. There is a BTYahoo app for phones and tablets.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 55

Sorry - it seems that this upgrade is only for people who joined a long time ago. I must have been using the 'new' webmail since I joined last June because there is no sign of an 'upgrade' option when I follow the link in the email...... so why did I get the confusing email in the first place?!

I assumed this was referring to some sort of mail reading application you had to install, or 'modified' Internet Explorer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 55

I can only assume that the email was sent out to all BTYahoo email users to ensure that everybody got it and if they lose their email because they never upgraded BT can not be held responsible. It is no doubt easier to do it that way than try and sort out who joined when and who has already upgraded.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 55

Still it is a change of T&C so all the people who are complaining that they cannot get out of their contract now is your chance contact BT  tell them you are not accepting the new T&Cs and want to cancel without charge.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 55

I'll be interested to see if they get out of the contract. The changes would need to be seen as a material disadvantage which the clause that has been changed/ added does not appear to be. (seems to be about scanning for malware and spam). Also I think they would argue that the email is a free service. You pay for the Broadband. If you don't want to agree to the conditions you can opt out of having the email address without opting out of having broadband. That is in the above link about the upgrade.

What will happen if I don't accept the terms of service?

As this is the only version of BT Yahoo! Mail we will now be offering, you won't be able to access the service unless you accept our terms of service.

See this link for another thread about changes to T&Cs

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Changes-to-email-T-amp-C-removing-unused-but-paid-for-ac...

0 Ratings