cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Replying to an email is not always using the reply address

I manage a computer system that allows certain people to send out an email to approx 10 members (all go out individually). I have noticed of late that those people using BT Webmail, when they reply,  have their email replied to the sender ( a generic address) rather that what appeared in the reply field. I have tested this using my email address and it works fine.

Can anyone throw any light please on why only certain BT Webmail users have this problem ?, and in fact, I'm not sure it always happens, even to those that go wrong sometimes. ie I can't recreate the issue.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Replying to an email is not always using the reply address

The problem you describe as "...those people using BT Webmail, when they reply,  have their email replied to the sender ( a generic address) rather that what appeared in the reply field..." is a solid problem for me.

It occurs every time I receive an email FROM a generic address and which also includes a REPLY-TO address-which is ignored.     
The only option presented by BT Webmail (and the BT email app) to reply to this type of email, is the FROM address.   
The REPLY-TO is not even presented by the email client; it's as though it were not present in the incoming email.

In brief...
The BT webmail client (or app) presents the email once you click on it (as normal).
That screen presents the email with the FROM <generic address> and a TO <recipients address>.
That's all the addresses I am shown.
The REPLY-TO address is NOT displayed at all.
I know there is a REPLY-TO address because on my phone the Mail app displays the REPLY-TO address.    
If I click the Mail app's Reply to the email, the reply form has the TO address field set to the incoming REPLY-TO address. Exactly as you'd expect it to...

Having spent hours on the BT Messaging Chat explaining this, BT do not seem to understand the basis of the problem.

Complaint raised... hopes not.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings