cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBB
Message 1 of 8

Requested to verify default e-mail account

I use Thunderbird to manage my e-mail accounts (1 x hotmail; 3 x btinternet). Ever since I set up a BT sub-account I have been unable to write and send e-mails from my default BT account. As of yesterday I am now unable to to write and send e-mails from one of the sub-accounts as well.

I have frequently tried to remedy the situation but received this message:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  From address not verified - see http://www.btyahoo.com/verify.  Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.

The help pages regarding verifying an account merely sent me around in circles and succeeded only in enraging me.

Check XXXX@btinternet.com to verify that you own this address. If you don't see a confirmation email, try resending it from here.

So I click on the link and it takes me to my mail account: that's all!

In the hope that the fault lay in my choice of Classic BT Yahoo mail I updated this morning to the 'new' version and my latest attempt to follow the instructions on the http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38595/c/346/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzY3MzE3MzY2L3NpZ... page yielded only this:

Sorry, the email address given matches your default email address. Please try with some other address.

I've now spent four and a half of the last fourteen hours trying to resolve this problem. I am aware that I am perfectly capable of making really stupid mistakes but I do feel that the help pages do not address this particular problem.

I'd be very grateful (and so would my family!) if someone could solve it for me.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Requested to verify default e-mail account

Have you tried by logging into your email addresses on webmail and sending from there rather than through Thunderbird?  If this works then the fault will possibly lie with your Thunderbird settings rather than the email account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Another thing to check is to go into your webmail account > mail options > POP and Forwarding and check the the Access BTYahoo by POP is ticked

0 Ratings
MrBB
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for your reply.

Although I understand the point you're making (I hope!) my problem is really the verification of my e-mail address: I can't find a way to get BT Yahoo to send me the verification e-mail.

(Why I need to verify my default account - the one they send all their BT messages too - in the first place is another question!)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

I don't know why you would need to verify a xxxxx@btinternet.com email address, that's why I asked if you could send and receive from the webmail rather than Thunderbird. If you can send and receive from there then you don't need to verify and there is a glitch somewhere else.

0 Ratings
MrBB
Message 6 of 8

I see.

Yes, I can send and receive from that address.

Come on, BT, let the glitch hunt commence!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Check all your settings in Thunderbird, see this link for the settings

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6876/~/what-are-the-bt-yahoo!-mail-settings-for-outgo...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@MrBB wrote:

I use Thunderbird to manage my e-mail accounts (1 x hotmail; 3 x btinternet). Ever since I set up a BT sub-account I have been unable to write and send e-mails from my default BT account. As of yesterday I am now unable to to write and send e-mails from one of the sub-accounts as well.

I have frequently tried to remedy the situation but received this message:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  From address not verified - see http://www.btyahoo.com/verify.  Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.

The help pages regarding verifying an account merely sent me around in circles and succeeded only in enraging me.

Check XXXX@btinternet.com to verify that you own this address. If you don't see a confirmation email, try resending it from here.

So I click on the link and it takes me to my mail account: that's all!

In the hope that the fault lay in my choice of Classic BT Yahoo mail I updated this morning to the 'new' version and my latest attempt to follow the instructions on the http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38595/c/346/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzY3MzE3MzY2L3NpZ... page yielded only this:

Sorry, the email address given matches your default email address. Please try with some other address.

I've now spent four and a half of the last fourteen hours trying to resolve this problem. I am aware that I am perfectly capable of making really stupid mistakes but I do feel that the help pages do not address this particular problem.

I'd be very grateful (and so would my family!) if someone could solve it for me.

Many thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

The reason for the issue is almost certainly to do with the Thunderbird settings. In essence, each account in TB needs to have its own smtp outgoing server item setup. The item in the account settings (Outgoing Server (SMTP)) will point at an smtp setting, it is this that needs to be unique for each BTinternet account - otherwise using one in use by another account will result in this verification email request.

You can use the existing one for one of the accounts, as long as the email address in the settings is the same as the one you are sending "from".

If you need any extra info with regard adding new smtp server details, or altering the existing one - just pop back.

0 Ratings