cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Restoring keystrokes and keystroke combinations when managing email

I'm sorry if this is already covered but I've only just registered to use the BT Community in reaction to the awful new BT Mail user interface.

Does anyone know how to restore some of the keystroke combinations that used to be available in the old Yahoo client. My favourites were the <delete> key (obvious); <ctrl-d> (or was it <shift-d>?) for moving messages; and the arrow keys for navigating up and down emails in folders (instead of the hover-over images that appear in emails if you're lucky enough to find the right places to hover your mouse)?

many thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Restoring keystrokes and keystroke combinations when managing email

The delete key combinations do not work.

If using a "Preview" view you can navigate through the email list using the up/down arrows and the "enter" key when you get to the email you want to view. 

There is no way to navigate to the next email if using a non-preview view where you have opened the email other than using the "hidden" arrows.

To move messages to another folder you can drag and drop.

This is a thread about known problems and what if anything will be done about them.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Email-migrations-Update-from-BT/td-p/2062527

These are links about using the "new" BTMail system which might help you navigate the new system.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/we-ve-updated-your-email

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/bt-email-settings-tips-auto-reply-signature-11364367965932

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your reply but sorry, this is not good. The whole point about using keystrokes and combinations (keyboard shortcuts) is to avoid having to use the mouse. Moreover, drag-and-drop to move messages to folders doesn't appear to work in any case when the message is open in non-Preview mode - this being a supplementary point to avoid having to open the mail client in full-screen mode rather than in a window.

Is there an enhancements requesting forum somewhere in this Community where keyboard shortcuts functionality can be requested as a matter of urgency? Otherwise I can see myself abandoning BT Mail in favour of something else (after 16 years as a BT Mail user).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@JeremyOfLondon wrote:

Thank you for your reply but sorry, this is not good. The whole point about using keystrokes and combinations (keyboard shortcuts) is to avoid having to use the mouse. I am fully aware of the point of keystrokes etc.   Moreover, drag-and-drop to move messages to folders doesn't appear to work in any case when the message is open in non-Preview mode - this being a supplementary point to avoid having to open the mail client in full-screen mode rather than in a window. You drag and drop from the email list, not when the email is open.

Is there an enhancements requesting forum somewhere in this Community where keyboard shortcuts functionality can be requested as a matter of urgency? No, Otherwise I can see myself abandoning BT Mail in favour of something else (after 16 years as a BT Mail user). Of course that is your choice. Have you considered using an email client instead of webmail ,which may allow you to use the keystrokes etc.

0 Ratings