Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sq8r
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: SMTP details for non BT Email address with new BT account - Thunderbird

@gg30340 wrote:

Is it only the fsnet email account that won't send. Can he send and receive from his BT email address?

Just going to try setting up Thunderbird to use the BT email address and try that. Hadn't thought of doing this before.

Thanks, Dan

0 Ratings
sq8r
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

@licquorice wrote:

The settings should be port 465,  SSL/TLS, 'Normal Password', and xxxx@btinternet.com.

The problem with Thunderbird is that there is nowhere to enter the SMTP server password when configuring the account, the password is remembered in the password manager . Tools> options>passwords>saved passwords. Delete any existing password and then try to connect, it will timeout and fail and should then give you the opportunity to enter a password. Enter your btinternet email account password and this should then get stored and all will be well. Strange way to configure an account!!

Will give it another try, thanks.

As it is, each time I change the SMTP settings I am having to restart Thunderbird to pick them up.

Dan

0 Ratings
sq8r
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

@licquorice wrote:

The settings should be port 465,  SSL/TLS, 'Normal Password', and xxxx@btinternet.com.

The problem with Thunderbird is that there is nowhere to enter the SMTP server password when configuring the account, the password is remembered in the password manager . Tools> options>passwords>saved passwords. Delete any existing password and then try to connect, it will timeout and fail and should then give you the opportunity to enter a password. Enter your btinternet email account password and this should then get stored and all will be well. Strange way to configure an account!!

This DOES NOT WORK! I'm not saying that your suggestion is wrong. Just that I can't get it to work as you described....hmm.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

Very strange.

I set up a test account in Thunderbird for a Hotmail address using the BT SMTP server and it worked with those settings. Are you deleting all the existing SMTP passwords in password manager, Thunderbird seems to remember all sorts of passwords and use them inappropriately.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

Have you tried uninstalling then re-install Thunderbird, setting up the BTMail account with the fresh install or I know your father may prefer Thunderbird but try downloading Windows Live Mail and setting up his BT account with the settings supplied. Once that is up and running add his other account to it and see how you get on. 

sq8r
Contributor
Message 16 of 21

I think I should hang my head in shame.

My password was incorrect.

This was shown when I tried to (a) create a BT Email address on Thunderbird (that failed) and then verified when (b) I tried to login to my BT webmail page. I reset my Email password by logging into MyBT and now all is working.

Apologies for wasting all your time. Thank you very much for all your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

Good to hear you got it working and thanks for being so honest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 21

Glad it's working. Easy mistake to make.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ClarkeJamesA
Beginner
Message 19 of 21

Hi

I came across this thread and hoped someone may be of help.

I have just recently moved to BT. I wish to continue using my old @tiscali.co.uk address.

POP3 seems fine but SMTP is a challenge.

What settings do I require?

SMTP: mail.btinternet.com

Security: SSL

Port: 465

Do I need to register this address somewhere (BT Yahoo?)? Or is it simply impossible?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

@ClarkeJamesA wrote:

Hi

I came across this thread and hoped someone may be of help.

@I have just recently moved to BT. I wish to continue using my old @Tiscali.co.uk address.

POP3 seems fine but SMTP is a challenge.

What settings do I require?

SMTP: mail.btinternet.com

@User name: your @btinternet.com email address

@Password: your @btinternet.com email address password

Security: SSL

Port: 465

Do I need to register this address somewhere (BT Yahoo?)? Or is it simply impossible?

Or alternatively, if you still have an SMTP account on the Tiscali server, use that.

0 Ratings