cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sq8r
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

SMTP details for non BT Email address with new BT account - Thunderbird

If this has been answered before then I apologise.

I am trying to set my father's Email up as he has just moved to BT. He wants to continue using his old fsnet(freeserve) Email account. I am failing to figure out what SMTP settings I need to use in Thunderbird to get his Emails sent. I am seeing conflicting information online. I managed to do this with my own account at home by following the 'authorisation' process with my BT Yahoo account. My father has the new BT mail account not the BT Yahoo account.

The settings I am trying are:

Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 25 (and 465)

Connection Security: None

Authentication Method: Password, transmitted insecurely

user name: ******@btinternet.com

The client (Thunderbird) appears to connect to the server but no Email is sent. Instead, I get the message:

"Sending of message failed.

The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server mail.btinternet.com timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator."

To clarify: this is for sending Email from his non-BT account. I have not 'authorised' this account as I can't see how to in the new BT mail settings. This is Thunderbird on Windows 8.1

Thanks in advance for your help. 

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: SMTP details for non BT Email address with new BT account - Thunderbird

0 Ratings
sq8r
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

I appreciate your quick reply but this doesn't answer my question. If you had read my question you would see that I am already using (have tried using) those settings.
0 Ratings
sq8r
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Basically, I'm looking for the new version of this for the new BT Mail account:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10903/c/346/related/1

Which relates only to the old BT Yahoo mail.

I am wondering if I add a new Email account in the new (web) BT Mail, this problem will be solved... 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

I obviously did read your question other wise I would not have answered. The settings I gave the link to are the current ones for BTMail which if you had noticed say that you have to use SSL security which I noticed in your post you said you were not using any security.  I use Windows Live Mail and I use the following settings which work without problem.

POP3

Server incoming and out going: mail.btinternet.com

Incoming mail server:

Email user name: (prefix of email address without @btinternet.com)

Password: Your BT email password.

Log on using clear text authentication

Out Going Server in requires Authentication (Use same as incoming mail server. Some users have found that they need to enter the password and username instead of “use same as incoming mail server” )

Outgoing Port : 465 SSL security

Incoming Port : 995 SSL security

IMAP

Same as above except for Incoming Port: 993 SSL security

sq8r
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Apologies.

I have tried all combinations of SSL settings. Thunderbird doesn't have a PLAIN setting for authentication, it has 'Normal Password'.

I've just retested with 'Connection Security' set to : SSL/TLS

And I've tried with the user name using the @btinternet.com postfix and without it.

Still no luck.

What are your thoughts on the Yahoo authorisation I mentioned? Is this step/process not needed now?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

As far as I am aware it is no longer needed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Is it only the fsnet email account that won't send. Can he send and receive from his BT email address?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

@sq8r wrote:

Apologies.

I have tried all combinations of SSL settings. Thunderbird doesn't have a PLAIN setting for authentication, it has 'Normal Password'.

I've just retested with 'Connection Security' set to : SSL/TLS

@AnD I've tried with the user name using the @btinternet.com postfix and without it.

Still no luck.

What are your thoughts on the Yahoo authorisation I mentioned? Is this step/process not needed now?

Thanks.

The settings should be port 465,  SSL/TLS, 'Normal Password', and xxxx@btinternet.com.

The problem with Thunderbird is that there is nowhere to enter the SMTP server password when configuring the account, the password is remembered in the password manager . Tools> options>passwords>saved passwords. Delete any existing password and then try to connect, it will timeout and fail and should then give you the opportunity to enter a password. Enter your btinternet email account password and this should then get stored and all will be well. Strange way to configure an account!!

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

@sq8r wrote:

Thanks.

It would appear authorisation is no longer required. Just set up a test using a new BT mail account that has no addresses authorised against it, worked ok with a hotmail address for incoming.

0 Ratings