cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robmar0se
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

SMTP fail using Outlook, password rejected contantly, okay on webmail

We are a long time user of BT and Outlook over many years, for the last 2 weeks we can no longer send email (receive is okay).  On creating an email, Outlook now asks for the SMTP password which we re-enter, then the request for the password is repeated ad nauseam.  So in essence we cant send any emails via Outlook via the BT SMTP servers.

We can send via Webmail with the same password. Note we can also send email from the same system connecting to a different ISP, using that ISP's SMTP servers without a request to reenter the password.

BT support says (as they tend to do) its a Microsoft problem which clearly is wholely wrong (i) its a new problem, (ii) not an issue with other SMTP servers.

I would suggest that BT should be more pro-active in dealing with these email issues, especially as their "new" email service will without question have teething issues.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: SMTP fail using Outlook, password rejected contantly, okay on webmail

First of all are your SMTP settings correct as you may have been migrated from BTYahoo to BT Mail and were previously using a Yahoo server to send. The correct settings are:-

Server mail.btinternet.com

Port 465

Encryption SSL

Outgoing server requires authentication ticked.

If they are correct, you can try the following.

Close down Outlook to stop it connecting to the server, change your password in webmail, wait at least an hour for the servers to sync passwords and then log in to Outlook using new password.

0 Ratings
robmar0se
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thank you so much - I wondered afterwards whether I should have said I am using the standard BT email settings as you have indicated, of which I  have been using for as long as I can remember.

We can therefore eliminate that.

We also changed the password under the guidance of BT, but the problem remains exactly the same, works on Webmail, but not on Outlook.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Did you wait for an hour before trying again, that is the critical part. It gives the servers chance to sync without attempted logins with a now incorrect password locking out the user. I would try changing it again and stop all devices accessing the mail servers for an hour.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

In the Outgoing server settings, enter your user name and password manually and don't use the tick box " use the same as incoming"

0 Ratings
robmar0se
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

we always do this, further please note the system has been fine for more than the last 2 weeks without issues - setting up BT email is pretty straightforward, we always use manual settings. We went through this with BT technical support so we know the settings are correct, further as I mentioned they work fine when we route sending items via non-BT smtp servers, they go through without issues.

Just in case you ask, a very thorough scan for malware Norton/Malawarebytes/TDSSkiller threw up nothing.

BT SMTP servers are the issue - there is another post on here with same/similar issue

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Have you tried another password reset with the hour wait? If that hasn't worked we need to get the mods involved, but need to make sure everything has been tried first.

0 Ratings