cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 31

Re: SMTP server not working.

Good evening,

Logging into My BT and My Products it seems to show nothing except email under help which is not what we want.

However, I called BT and the lady told me that Premium Mail was active. She then passed me to email support who once again told me that if webmail is working they can do no more. Chocolate teapot came to mind.

So, I checked the server settings on my Mac Mail account. The SMTP Port was set as 587 which I have not seen in any BT documentation. Tried this in my Mac outlook account which has never sent mail and it worked. Not tried on my wife's pc yet but will do so this evening.

Watch this space .....

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 31

Tried it on my wife's computer and it didn't work. Symptom is as if I have basic email 😫

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 31

Can you please try adding your wife's address to Apple mail on your Mac as suggested this morning. That will verify if the problem is with her account or Outlook.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 31

OK Just setup an imap account in Apple Mail for my wife and it works. Just sent a message to myself.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 31

There you go, problem is with Outlook.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 31

What and Thunderbird?

What would you suggest she uses for a Pop or IMAP account? I'm not buying her a Mac.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 31

Thunderbird shouldn't be a problem.

I assume you are both using the same internet connection rather than separate.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 31

Oh yes. We have Sky Fibre to the home at 500Mb/s. I connect to it via Ethernet and she connects by Wi-Fi. Everything used to work just fine until a few weeks ago. Microsoft 365 may have done an update - I don't know. Could try installing office 2019 and see if outlook is better there. I do have licenses for 2016 and 2019 as these are what we used in the past.

Why is it that when I look at my Products I don't see any email account? I'll have to check my bank to see if I've been paying.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 31

Hmm, does seem strange the account works on one machine but not another.

Thunderbird is a bit strange with how it associates SMTP servers with accounts. Might be worth completely uninstalling it and starting again from scratch.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 31

My concern/fear is that if I uninstall Outlook 365 (desktop) from my device I am going to lose any saved emails. Am I panicking unnecessarily?

0 Ratings