Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

SPAM SPAM SPAM

The other Spam forum message seems to have been closed although without any action from BT, and like other contributors I find it an extremely annoying problem. I have recently updated to Windows 10 and before the update I was getting about 5-10 Spam messages a day in my Outlook folders which had got through the BT spam filters. I don't look at the webmail spam box but that is usually full with the usual rubbish which just gets binned. Since the Win10 update I am now getting a massive amounts of Spam in my Outlook Junk e-mail folder (18 in 5 hours is usual) and the same amount in my SPAMFighter e-mail folder. 

I can accept that there has been an increase in the Spam volumes (apparently!!), but this Spam increase seems associated with going to Windows 10. There is nothing in the Microsoft forums and I can't see why there should be as there has been no change to Outlook. So can one of the experts at BT provide me with an explanation? 

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Re: SPAM SPAM SPAM

I think you will just find that it is a coincidence that your increase in spam coincided with your Windows 10 update.

It seems that spam on BT mail is either feast or famine for some users. Personally I have had no increase, only getting about one or two per week that get through the filters while going by the posts on the forum it is obviously a problem for some users such as your self.

All you can do is to keep marking it as spam and hopefully the spam filters will start to block it.

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

NigelG27 wrote:

The other Spam forum message seems to have been closed although without any action from BT, and like other contributors I find it an extremely annoying problem. I have recently updated to Windows 10 and before the update I was getting about 5-10 Spam messages a day in my Outlook folders which had got through the BT spam filters. I don't look at the webmail spam box but that is usually full with the usual rubbish which just gets binned. Since the Win10 update I am now getting a massive amounts of Spam in my Outlook Junk e-mail folder (18 in 5 hours is usual) and the same amount in my SPAMFighter e-mail folder. 

I can accept that there has been an increase in the Spam volumes (apparently!!), but this Spam increase seems associated with going to Windows 10. There is nothing in the Microsoft forums and I can't see why there should be as there has been no change to Outlook. So can one of the experts at BT provide me with an explanation? 

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

It is a complete coincidence that win10 update and the spam increase have occured together. Why would windows 10 upgrade cause the increase ? I personally use a different email address for every company I deal with, including the windows 10 registration. I've not received a single non Microsoft email on that specific email address.

The implication is that the server anti-spam systems (on BTMail via Openwave) are either underperforming or not picking up the latest wave.

My "spam" email receiver has seen a large increase in spam (I see them as I've set the system to deliver all emails) in recent weeks, but the older Yahoo! system is marking them as [Bulk] - hence that is picking them up. Hence the BTMail/Openwave system is currently struggling in my view.

However - it would be interesting to hear of anyone seems huge spam increases into their inboxes NOT marked as spam who are still through the Yahoo! system.

Beginner
0 Ratings

Thanks for your comments. I do not think I am paranoid about spam but here is a funny thing. I add a message about spam to the BT forum and my Junk folder and Spamfighter folders have not received any spam in the last 24 hours when I would have expected more than 60 since installing Win10. Weird or what?

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

It is just the usual feast or famine, no conspiracy or mysterious forces at work. If there was a problem with the server you were on BT have either fixed it or you may now be connected to a different server.

Beginner
0 Ratings

If I am not getting the same amount of spam I don't care if it is liittle green men at work. I am closing the post. Thanks