Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gspearson
Expert
Message 1 of 10

Searching for emails

Go to solution

My webmail inbox reports that I have almost 35,000 emails.  Is there a way I can search through all of them?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Searching for emails

Go to solution

@gspearsonwrote:

My webmail inbox reports that I have almost 35,000 emails.  Is there a way I can search through all of them?

Yes...

search email.jpg

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I had tried that but it doesn't seem to work for things more than a few weeks ago, if that.

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Use the drop down menu to get more options of advanced search, then you can select the folder you want to search, and also date parameter to look for...

search email.jpg

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Ah! thanks

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I've tried that now and I get an error message, after some time.

I don't use the  webmail to handle my emails; I do it all in MS Outlook.  I'll have a think how I might do it that way.  (Unless there is a way to download the headers for all 35,000?)

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Haven't used Outlook for years, but, if all your emails are there, why not simply do the 'search' on that? (I have in excess of 70,000 emails on WebMail and the search function works just fine on it)

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

My Outlook inbox is approaching 2Gb - at which point it falls over, so it has to be archived in 2Gb chunks.  I was hoping to find a couple of emails from about 5 years ago - and was tantalised by seeing all 35,000 mentioned in the web account.  I will continue to play - thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Good luck.
It' simpler in MS Outlook (365). Make sure that you archive before you make drastic changes.
Are you on iMap or POP3? There are some subtle differences.
iMap keeps the mail on the server by default, which presumably is why you have such a backlog. Keep it that way! And delete any mails (from the server) that you don't need.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

My BT email account is on POP3 whereas my others are IMAP.  I'd like to move BT to IMAP but I fear there will be snags.  I'm on Outlook 2013 and toying with 365, although the interface is not to my liking.  I use Start10 to make my Windows 10 look like Windows 7, and that works very well.

0 Ratings