Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jass
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Second e-mail account in Windows 10

Go to solution

I am just setting up a new PC loaded with Windows 10, and am having trouble with my second e-mail address.  The main BT email address set up and worked fine, but when I set up the second address that I have within my BT account, in exactly the same way,Windows Mail appears to accept it, but will not download any mail. It seems to by syncing in the normal way but then says that no mail has arrived, even though I know that there is mail in the BT inbox.

Any ideas why the second e-mail address won't work would be much appreciated.

Jass.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Jass
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Second e-mail account in Windows 10

Go to solution

OK, so this could be a Windows 10 issue, but the fact remains that one of my mail addresses works fine, whilst the second address does not. So, until someone at BT can explain what is happening, I am looking on it as a BT Mail issue.

Has anyone (or any of the moderators) come accross this problem??

Jass.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

If your email account works as it should via webmail as far as BT are concerned your email is working.

What email client are you using? Is it the stock W10 one?

Have you ticked the box to include the account when receiving email or synchronising

Have you tried a different email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook?

0 Ratings
Jass
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for responding.

I am using the standard Windows 10 Mail as pre-loaded on the laptop.

All check boxes are ticked and, as I say, I have set everything up exactly the same as my other account.

I have deleted the attempted new account and started all over again just to be certain, but no joy.

I don't have Thunderbird or Outlook to try, but I shouldn't have to, having ascertained that my first BT account works fine.

This is really frustrating when one account syncs OK, whilst the second account just keeps saying 'Nothing has arrived'.

Jass.

Jass.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

The reason I asked you to try another email client such as Thunderbird was to establish if it was a fault with the W10 email app or if it is a problem with the email account.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@Jasswrote:

I am just setting up a new PC loaded with Windows 10, and am having trouble with my second e-mail address.  The main BT email address set up and worked fine, but when I set up the second address that I have within my BT account, in exactly the same way,Windows Mail appears to accept it, but will not download any mail. It seems to by syncing in the normal way but then says that no mail has arrived, even though I know that there is mail in the BT inbox.

Any ideas why the second e-mail address won't work would be much appreciated.

Jass.

Hi.

When you say you're setting it up the same way, are you choosing "other" as the mail type at the start?

Are your accounts BTYahoo or BTMail? Webmail login will show a Yahoo image for the former.

0 Ratings
Jass
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Andy,

I am setting up the account using the 'Advanced Settings' option and filling in all the fields in exactly the same way as for the account that does work - except, of course for the different username.

The mail account is BT Mail. and I am setting it up as a POP3 account on mail.btinternet.com with all the boxes ticked for SSL, authentication, etc.

I tried using 'Other' but, after telling me that the account was set up successfully, it then gave the same response as before, viz. 'Nothing has Arrived'.

Any thoughts?

Jass.

0 Ratings
Jass
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

I really did expect this to be a problem that someone recognised and could advise on.  I can't believe I am the only BT customer to have come across it.

Anyone? . . . .  Please?

Jass.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@Jasswrote:

I really did expect this to be a problem that someone recognised and could advise on.  I can't believe I am the only BT customer to have come across it.

Anyone? . . . .  Please?

Jass.

Hi again.

You didn't say if your account was BTYahoo or BTMail - that is fairly important.

It might be worth going through all the settings again, making sure that they are 100% correct. Naturally webmail access should show the account to be working.

Although the win10 client is OK, there are far better ones to use like Thunderbird or Claws mail (both free). Again with any of these, manual setup is the way to go.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@Jass wrote:

Anyone? . . . .  Please?

Jass.

You were given advice and the reason for that advice but as yet you have not posted back whether or not you have tried it.