Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 15

Re: Second e-mail account in Windows 10

Go to solution

Apologies for my last reply, you did say BTMail on an earlier post.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 15

Go to solution

In 'Sync settings', do you have 'Download email from' set to 'Anytime'?

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

@Jasswrote:

I really did expect this to be a problem that someone recognised and could advise on.  I can't believe I am the only BT customer to have come across it.

Anyone? . . . .  Please?

Jass.

I would delete the account and add it again, choose Other Account - as it seems like w10 now gets it correct for the settings (it does use IMAP).

Even if the password is entered incorrectly, the system still adds the account. The same is true if spelling the email address incorrectly!

So make sure that you've got both the email address and password correct.

Naturally any syncing will fail, but it doesn't seem to tell you that the details may be incorrect. When editing the settings, none of the details are shown as the syncing doesn't work.

You will also get the Nothing has arrived yet message.

Do you think that is the case here? It can happen, people have in the past misspelt their email address or password.

0 Ratings
Jass
Contributor
Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Andy,

Thanks for responding. Your comments set me thinking about the password, particularly when you pointed out that Windows will go ahead and create the account even if the user ID/password are wrong!

I, foolishly, assumed that a successful 'account created' message meant that everything was OK.

I also took on board your suggestionj that, being human, I could - just possibly - be wrong about the password, so I went through the 'forgotten password' routine on BTMail and created a new one.

Deleted the troublesome account from Windows and started from the beginning and - BINGO!! - set up and working, and all outstanding mail downloaded.

Many thanks for taking the time, and for finding the 'clarity of thought switch' somewhere in my head!

Jass.

Jass
Contributor
Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks, also, to all the responders who have helped to gradually nudge me in the right direction.

Jass.

0 Ratings