Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dixonmg
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Security issue

Go to solution

It looks as if my BT Yahoo Mail account has been compromised, but I can't find out how, or stop it. I have changed passwords numerous times, changed the security question several times, and followed the list of actions given on the 'compromised accounts page. But when I get to the 'check reply and forwarding addresses haven't been changed', the instructions given don't work, and look as if they were written for an earlier version of BT Yahoo mail. It tells me to click on 'mail options' under the cogwheel icon, but 'mail options' is not there. I tried 'settings' as an alternative, but don't see anything about forwarding addresses there. Can anyone tell me how to get to this info in the current mail app?

I spent nearly two hours yesterday in a 'Live Chat' session with someone in India, trying to find the answer to this question, but we kept going round in circles, getting nowhere. But I still keep getting blocked by a screen, purportedly from BT, telling me that I need to change my password. If I do, it sometimes works but then, the next time I log in, the same thing happens!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Security issue

Go to solution

@dixonmg wrote:

IBut when I get to the 'check reply and forwarding addresses haven't been changed', the instructions given don't work, and look as if they were written for an earlier version of BT Yahoo mail. It tells me to click on 'mail options' under the cogwheel icon, but 'mail options' is not there. I tried 'settings' as an alternative, but don't see anything about forwarding addresses there. Can anyone tell me how to get to this info in the current mail app?

I

See this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-YAHOO-EMAIL-FORWARDING/m-p/1535449#M37451

0 Ratings
dixonmg
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks, Keith, for pointing me to Yahoo having disabled forwarding, which suggests that they are having a problem in this area. But, if forwarding is disabled, it can't presumably be a hidden forwarding address which is causing my problems, which still continue?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Once a mail account has been hacked, anything you do afterwards is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted unfortunately. Once something has been stolen, it can't be unstolen.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I could be wrong but I suspect that you think that your account has been hacked because it is sending spam to your contacts.

If that is the case, your account was probably hacked when Yahoo had its systems hacked about 18 months ago. Your email address and all your email contacts would have been harvested by the hackers. This means that they can send spam emails to your contacts anytime they wish without having to re-hack your account so changing your password will have no effect.

They will have spoofed your email address so that the emails appear to be coming from your account. This is to fool your contacts in to thinking the emails are from you and are safe to open.

There is nothing you can do other than to stop using that email address and tell all your contacts to treat any emails from it as spam and to delete them.

You could then set up a sub-account on your BT account and use that.

See links about spoofing email addresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

See link for BT info.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/394​​​11/&s_intcid=con_sab_L1:smileytongue:roblem%20with%20service:...:smileytongue::smileytongue:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@dixonmg wrote:

Thanks, Keith, for pointing me to Yahoo having disabled forwarding, which suggests that they are having a problem in this area. But, if forwarding is disabled, it can't presumably be a hidden forwarding address which is causing my problems, which still continue?

Hi.

I got the reason direct from Yahoo!

Forwarding itself isn't disabled, it's the act of trying to alter any set forwarding or to create a new one. If a spammer has managed to hack an account - and set forwarding to one of their (albeit throwaway) email addresses, then that can't be altered.

That alone is appalling for Yahoo! to have stopped the user at least deleting forwarding.

The forwarding hack tended to be a specific item, one where the email was sent to all the stored contacts saying that they were in a foreign country and needed money. All replies then went to the scammer rather than the real mailbox.

As has been said, if your online contacts are getting emails pretending to be from you, then forwarding won't be relevant as such - it's more than likely from the yahoo! hack of 18 months ago. It's likely that spammers who got the information back then sent initial spam "from" some accounts at the time. Clearly they can do it at anytime in the future, and it's virtually impossible to prevent.

0 Ratings
dixonmg
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

It's not just because some of my contacts have received spam emails purporting to come from me. That was how it started, but latterly my problem has been repeatedly getting the warning screen from BT saying that multiple failed log-in attempts have been detected, and telling me to change my password. When I tried to do so this morning, I got a screen saying that the site's security certificate was invalid.

So I was forced to spend ages waiting and then speaking to a BT man in India, who has got me back on via a different route, admitted that there is a problem with the BT Yahoo server which is being worked on, but assures me that, if I only log on via the alternative route, all will be well. I wish I could believe him!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

If you are using BTYahoo email system, you can check your log on history to see if anybody has managed to log onto your account.

Sign into email then click on the link and log on again.

https://api.login.yahoo.com/login/history?

I suspect that the spam problem is as has been stated above and that the log on problem is a Yahoo problem rather than somebody trying to access your account.

0 Ratings
dixonmg
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks to all contributors. Since I have been logging on by the alternate route (direct to Yahoo, not via the BT homepage) the problem has not recurred

0 Ratings