Did you mean: 
Highlighted
COMPANY-PENSIONER
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Security of BT Mail displayed ?

Go to solution

Hi All.
I exclusively use BT Mail, on the web, in FF 64.0.2(64-bit) browser.

Question ?
Is the 'Preview' secure. In as much that, no harm can be done, inadvertently highlighting an email, but not opening it ?
I do appreciate that there's a 'radio button' & 'select' merged. Either can be utilised sepeately.

Cheers ! COMPANY-PENSIONER.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
BT Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Security of BT Mail displayed ?

Go to solution
Hi,
Preview is the same as opening the email.
BT ExpertJamesC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on technical queries, where I can. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

This is in effect opening the email. I would say that you are best not to use the preview facility on any email system. 

You can change the view by clicking on the "view" button in the menu bar and select "none".

0 Ratings
COMPANY-PENSIONER
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

This is in effect opening the email. I would say that you are best not to use the preview facility on any email system. 

You can change the view by clicking on the "view" button in the menu bar and select "none".

Hi.
All I could find was 'Change View' (Top Right). I selected 'No Preview'. The page changed, and the information was displayed in a much more user friendly way. So much so, that I'm locked into no 'PREVIEW'. The safe way to go.

So finally, a spin-off from the original question..
CAN YOU DRAW INTO YOUR PC, A WHOLE WORLD OF NASTIES, BY JUST USING THE 'PREVIEW' mode ?

Regards. C - P.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Ref changing the "view". I wrongly assumed that you were on the "new" BTMail email interface and gave the instructions for that but you would appear to be either still on the "old" BTMail email interface or on BTYahoo hence the different names shown.

In answer to your question, it is yes and no. The preview pane has been used in the past by hackers as a means to getting "nasties" into your computer. They did this by exploiting the fact that you are "opening" an email when it is in preview mode. 

Email programs  have been patched to prevent this particular exploit from happening but there is as always the risk that the hackers find a new way around the patch so my advice is not to use the preview feature and always be vigilant about what emails you do open. 

0 Ratings
COMPANY-PENSIONER
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

Ref changing the "view". I wrongly assumed that you were on the "new" BTMail email interface and gave the instructions for that but you would appear to be either still on the "old" BTMail email interface or on BTYahoo hence the different names shown.

In answer to your question, it is yes and no. The preview pane has been used in the past by hackers as a means to getting "nasties" into your computer. They did this by exploiting the fact that you are "opening" an email when it is in preview mode. 

Email programs  have been patched to prevent this particular exploit from happening but there is as always the risk that the hackers find a new way around the patch so my advice is not to use the preview feature and always be vigilant about what emails you do open. 

Hi there.
I've had a look at some online images, and I'm definitely on BT Mail. I use the 'log-in' directly to email, missing out 'What's New'. It's the interface, that opens up on screen, when I log in. If it's the Basic model, rather than the Illuminated model: it works, that's fine.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on the meaning of stuff. It's easier to spot a snide, in this mode. All my email accounts are now, 'No Preview'.

Cheers ! C-P.

0 Ratings